Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Chill Haze in a lager

Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 AM   #11
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I use a whole tablet, but it's more for convenience that a belief that I need a whole one! I get crazy cold break, since I chill fast, and lots of hot break.

One reason I'm anti-gelatin is because many of my friends are vegetarians and would never think of beer as non-vegetarian/vegan friendly. I never thought about it before, but won't use isinglass in my wines either now. Some of my friends are old hippies, and some young vegans too.
Interesting. I did the same but read that too much Whirlfloc could damage head retention. I've noticed no difference, so I'll prolly just chuck in a whole tablet from now on, those crumbly things suck to try and divide in half!

My GF is a veggie, and she is my most trusted palate, so I can't lose that. She'll tell me flat out if I have an off-flavor knowing I won't resent her criticism. I can say for sure that gelatin makes chill haze clear faster though, contrary to some things I've read.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #12
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

OK, another week+ has gone by and the chill haze is gone. I didn't do anything except let it sit in the cold. It was low 20s to mid 30s all week. I had planned on bottling this past weekend but didn't get to it. So now I have to do it this coming weekend as I'm traveling the following weekend. My luck with the weather will run out.

Pretty tasty now too. So, let's see, if I bottle this weekend (Super Bowl), do my trip to India (that's not as exciting as it sounds), another week after I get back and it should be ready. Can't wait.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
zacster
Recipes 

I'm back from India and tried my first bottle, now 2 weeks in. It still needs more time to condition, but it was absolutely clear. It still has that 'green apple' taste to it. Another week at least, probably 2-3 would be better.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
zacster
Recipes 

As I get ready to try another lager, I should comment that this was the best tasting, crispest, most refreshing, and absolutely clearest beer I've ever made. I used no electric refrigeration and no clearing agents. It's a shame that it's long gone...

Now, if only the weather will get cold.