Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Chill Haze in a lager

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

Default Chill Haze in a lager

My lager is in the 3rd week of lagering in the cold. Last night I took a sample to check the gravity and noticed that it had a definite haze in it that I wasn't expecting. Is this chill haze? And if it is what can I do about it at this stage? Will it settle out as it lagers?

The temps have been pretty cold here the last few days and while the beer hasn't frozen it must be below 32 with the alcohol lowering the freezing point. The room itself measured in the low 20's yesterday. It is the entrance to my very old house, with a leaky old glass door and a mail slot. The inner door keeps the cold out of the house.

It tastes great in any case.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
str8wire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Let the next sample warm up. Wont chill haze go away when the "chill" is gone? If it's clear = chill haze

Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

I was reading up on chill haze and most of the material says that the haze should settle out during lagering. It's been 2+ weeks, so maybe it just needs more time to settle.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I have a lager that's been in bottles for about two weeks now. It's just beginning to drop clear. In another week or two it will probably be crystal.

Next time try gelatin. I gelatined half of my batch to compare the results, the gelatined bottles were bright and clear after a week. However, the bottoms are gunked up with super fluffy, flocced out yeast. Next time I'll do it in the bulk vessel.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
BribieG
Recipes 

Gelatine will floc out yeast. However chill haze is caused by polyphenols. They can be removed using Polyclar - this is how we buy it in Australia, I expect it's available in the USA http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=726 (no affiliation with the supplier here) - two teaspoons in some boiling water and give it a good stir, then tip into the cold conditioning lager. I use it in all my brews, not just lager as it's cheap and reliable and some ales can get chill haze if you are serving them below 8 C.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
zacster
Recipes 

Yea, it's available. One thing about it though is that it will also floc out the yeast. I bottle condition my beer and I need the yeast. I may give it a try and keep some of the yeast cake from the bottom to stir back in.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
BribieG
Recipes 

Sort of like "krausening" - yes that should work fine.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6073 Times on 4323 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

You don't need finings to get rid of chill haze. After a few weeks at fridge (lager) temperatures, it'll drop out and you'll have clear beer.

I'm not a gelatin user, ever, but I do use kettle finings like Whirlfloc. Chill haze is never an issue with Whirlfloc but back when I used Irish moss, I sometimes had chill haze in my lightest beers. That was fixed by time at cold temperatures, and it doesn't come back once it's gone.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You don't need finings to get rid of chill haze. After a few weeks at fridge (lager) temperatures, it'll drop out and you'll have clear beer.

I'm not a gelatin user, ever, but I do use kettle finings like Whirlfloc. Chill haze is never an issue with Whirlfloc but back when I used Irish moss, I sometimes had chill haze in my lightest beers. That was fixed by time at cold temperatures, and it doesn't come back once it's gone.
I'm beginning to bend this way as well. When I finally get a keg setup I may experiment with gelatin again if I'm in a hurry for clear beer, but I've yet to have a beer not clear up in a couple of weeks using Whirlfloc.

How much Whirlfloc do you use Yoop? I've began using only half a tablet per 6 gallon batch and I've not noticed a difference compared to using a whole.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6073 Times on 4323 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
I'm beginning to bend this way as well. When I finally get a keg setup I may experiment with gelatin again if I'm in a hurry for clear beer, but I've yet to have a beer not clear up in a couple of weeks using Whirlfloc.

How much Whirlfloc do you use Yoop? I've began using only half a tablet per 6 gallon batch and I've not noticed a difference compared to using a whole.
I use a whole tablet, but it's more for convenience that a belief that I need a whole one! I get crazy cold break, since I chill fast, and lots of hot break.

One reason I'm anti-gelatin is because many of my friends are vegetarians and would never think of beer as non-vegetarian/vegan friendly. I never thought about it before, but won't use isinglass in my wines either now. Some of my friends are old hippies, and some young vegans too.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans