Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Attempting Supplication clone

Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #91
boralyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooshoot View Post
First, what was your reason for not adding the pinot/oak?
I originally had planned on it, but then life happened, so I never got around to it.

Quote:
Second, why did you transfer from the carboy to the keg to the Better Bottle? Just to get the beer off the trub for the extended aging? Seems like an unnecessary risk of oxidation.
5 months after the initial brew day I ended up moving 2600 miles across country, so I needed a more airtight container for it to make the journey. Otherwise, I would have left it on the trub the entire time.

Quote:
Last, can you please share your original recipe? I didn't see it in this thread. I am planning to use something along the lines of the following, which someone else posted:

Ingredients:
11.0 lb American 2-row
1.0 lb Caramel Malt 40L
1.5 lb Vienna Malt
0.5 lb Carafa Specialģ TYPE III
1.0 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 45.0 min
You can find it, along w/ my procedure notes here: http://threegodsbrewing.com/recipes/...ication-clone/

Old 10-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #92
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Finally got around to tasting this beer side by side with Russian River's Supplication. I had 4 friends over to do a side by side tasting, 3 out of the 4 preferred my version to Supplication which is a huge compliment. Below are my tasting notes. In them I have comparisons to Supplication in parenthesis.

Appearance: Pours about 1/3 an inch of off-whte head that fades into a ring after a minute. The beer is dark brown with hints of red, especially when held up to a light. (My clone is darker than Supplication. Also Supplication has more of a white head then my clone).

Aroma: The first time I take a waft I get a very light acidity followed by a strong dark cherry nose. As it warms the acidity becomes more apparent, and a little bit of the base brown ale appears. Itís not much and the cherry and brown ale aromas compete amongst each other. (Supplicationís nose has no trace of the base beer at all. It also has a little oak and wine characteristics. I ended up not using pinot noir or oak chips in my version.)

Mouthfeel: Ė The beer is light to medium in body with tingly carbonation at 2 weeks conditioning. (The mouthfeel is nearly identical to Supplication)

Taste: Ė A fairly light acidity strikes the taste buds first, followed by a nice dark cherry flavor. Towards the middle/finish the tartness comes back and goes from light to mouth puckering quickly. The sourness lingers for a bit in the mouth after the finish. (Iím not sure if this is because of the order I tried the beers, but Supplication tasted significantly less sour then my clone. Supplication also had many more wine notes, which makes perfect sense considering I didnít add any, nor age it in wine barrels)

Overall: Iím extremely proud of this beer. Itís been a long and fun journey creating it. In my opinion this beer stands out and is easily comparable to the better commercial American Wild Ales on the market. I have noticed with my last 2 sour beers, that despite the long aging process, both of them were finished and hit their final gravity months before bottling. With that knowledge in hand, I think I am going to reduce the aging time to somewhere under a year for my next sour batch. Iím still debating on the style, but am leaning towards a lower alcohol blonde ale with blueberries.

Some additional bottling information and photos here: http://threegodsbrewing.com/2012/10/...g-and-tasting/

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #93
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i just had this for the first time tonight. Fantastic. Thanks for pulling this together, it's on my list!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #94
bbarnumboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

it has been 6 months since i infected the beer. Came in at 1.017 gravity and this beer smells and tastes amazing. It is souring very nicely, I now have high hopes for this beer!

I have not put any soaked oak chips or cherries in yet and i cannot wait to do so.

Next to the bottle for reference.

I have to agree with Boralyl that mine also tastes like cherries without them being added yet. It has the most amazing Oude Bruin/Flanders smell that i could ever wish for.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #95
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Subscribed!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #96
lawnboy881
Recipes 

Any further updates? Mine is in primary and moving to 2ndary soon for the long haul

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #97
bbarnumboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well Russian River just announced that they will be pulling distribution to Washington state, Looks like i will be making a constant supply of this stuff.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #98
lawnboy881
Recipes 

For the longterm fermentation,it's best to use glass carboys, right?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #99
boralyl
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy881 View Post
For the longterm fermentation,it's best to use glass carboys, right?
Better Bottles work fine as well, just not the plastic buckets for extended aging.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #100
bbarnumboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, mine is in a better bottle at 8 months now and it tastes great.