Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Excessive Krausen Question..

Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
CraigH78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Excessive Krausen Question..

Just brewed Cheesefood's cream ale yesterday and this thing is going crazy! I had to setup a blow off this morning because I was starting to see some krausen in the airlock. 3hrs later the tube is working but there is a lot of foam going through it and the catch jar I'm using is a nice golden color and foamy.

My question is, what variables cause this? This is the second time I've made it and the first time, I never had a spot in the airlock the entire time. This one is a little bit warmer, about 4 degrees (71 degree room, bucket reads 4 degrees warmer from fermentation) so maybe that's why. Here is the recipe I used. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cara...435/#post19258

I did do a starter (3/4 cup DME + 6 cups of water) for about 24 hrs, had a real nice head when I pitched. I also did add about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp of WYeast Nutrient at 10min left of boil so maybe that has something to do with it also. One thing is for sure, they are very happy yeasties!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would think that if you pitched your starter at high kreausen, then your yeastie beasties hit the ground running, and took off, the warmer temperature will also be a variable, but IMO not quite as significant since you are still well within most yeasts acceptable range.

One other thing is if you have a larger volume than normal, if you are using carboys or buckets, and normally have 5 gallons, but this time you have say 5.5-6, then the smaller headspace may be allowingyour foamto escape.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6209 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

75 degrees is a pretty hot fermentation! That will make the yeast go crazy, as you've seen. I'd do my best to get it under 70 degrees ASAP.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
CraigH78
Recipes 

Thanks guys. It has already started to calm down, in fact I just put the air lock back in. Yea, Yooper, it is warmer then I would like but with this weather here (30 degrees one day -1 the next) its hard to find a constant 70 in my house in a place that's not going to be ransacked by my 4 year old. I accidentally ran out of beer over the weekend so need to get a new batch brewed ASAP or I would have put it in 60 degree room and let it sit a few extra weeks. Oh well..