cooking - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cooking

Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
BrokeCollegeStudent
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Cheney, WA

Ok, I'm still yet to brew one, im assembling my equipment right now and was just wondering if it was alright to use an Aluminum pot to cook the wort in? I know stainless is the standard and thats what your supposed to use, but is there anyone out there that uses aluminum??

I believe aluminum is porous, i was a welder for a while and somehow just remember that... true?

Anyway, either i can use my aluminum or ante up $50 and get a stainless one. Decision?

"Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity." Karl Marx

Old 02-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Brewpilot
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Fort Wayne, IN

You can certainly use aluminum... First you will want to make sure there is a protective oxide (dull grey) coating on the inner surfaces of the pot though. Fill er up with water and boil it for a short period of time. You dont want a shiny finish in contact with your beer, you COULD (not will) have a slightly metallic taste to your beer. I have always used aluminum, no problems with it yet. Then again, I was never right in the first place, so it is hard to tell?
When you clean it, dont scrub it, just use a mild dish soap and a non abrasive sponge or towel. You want to keep that oxide coating on there bud.

Brewpilot

Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
BrokeCollegeStudent
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Cheney, WA

Hey, that helps.

Its my mothers from a decade ago so no shiny finish here, Its more like a pressure cooker, but im not going use the pressure lid of course.

"Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity." Karl Marx