Recipe suggestions using left over grains? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipe suggestions using left over grains?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
balzern
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Pennsylvania
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey everyone I have a porter and dunkelweizen fermenting right now but have some extra specialty grains I would like to use for my upcoming extract batch. I haven't decided what recipe to construct using some or all of these left over grains so I was hoping you could give me some suggestions

Here is what we have:

10 oz Chocolate Rye
12.95 oz Carafa III
4 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
11 oz Simpsons Black
11 oz Simpsons Chocolate

Thanks!
Bottled: The Jabberwock - Cascadian Dark Ale, The Innkeeper British Bitter, Northern France Session Farmhouse Ale, Dunkelweizen, 19th Century Robust English Porter, English Brown Ale, American Cream Ale, Spiced Winter Ale

"All for brew. Brew for all."

Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
USMCYoder
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Pensacola, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A lot of dark grains you got there. Only thing I could really come up with is a porter (But you already have one) or maybe a black IPA if you pick up some things.
Fermenting: Belgian Triple
Drinking: Nothing :(

My Keezer Build aka "The Monstrosity"

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
storunner13
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you want to go a little off the deep end, how about using some of that chocolate rye and Carafa with a Belgian yeast, or German wheat yeast? Could be tasty..

It would be hard to use them all in one beer. The black malt could be used in a stout, or Cascadian dark ale for the color. You could throw together a dark and roasty Barleywine... Or, if you can lager, you could try a Schwartzbier! This recipe has chocolate, carafa, AND black malt http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f60/schw...ok-3rd-110498/