HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Wire mesh brew in a bag?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
SankePankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
The trick would be to put some hoops in there so it stays flat against the inside of the basket. Maybe a few feet of very thin stainless round bar made into a very wide open cage...you could drop that inside the bag, then drop them both in the basket and it'd work great.
or how about a big silicone o-ring that's the perfect outside diameter for the inside diameter of the basket and drops down to the bottom. Such as McMaster Part: 9396K393.

I just kind of thought that the hop matter would expand as much as it needed to and a 'weight' wouldn't be needed, but I guess you're saying that the bag would flop around at the beginning of the boil and make it difficult?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Yep....30x30 mesh. After putting it all together, if I had to do it again, I would seriously consider a nylon bag.
Honestly? Didn't expect to hear that. Thought the mesh would be a lot easier to deal with once it was installed. Does it filter correctly? Is it hard to clean?

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #13
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 110

For those who have done BIAB using a metal stockpot type basket, how much grain can these 30-qt / 44-qt baskets hold?

I'm thinking about giving BIAB a whirl using a metal basket from Bayou Classic but I'm not sure about the total grain capacity of these baskets.

My kettle is the Boilermaker 10-gal. (d=13.5" x h=16.5")

Old 02-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Bugaboo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

erased

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph