How long to wait before bottling? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long to wait before bottling?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Bacchusuga
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Augusta, Georgia

I have read and talked to people about how long to wait before bottling and have gotten lots of different responses. I understand there isn't necessarily a "right" answer, but I was wondering what effect shortening or lengthening the time would have. My first brew, an ESB, was boiled last monday and stayed in the primary until yesterday when I racked it. I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for a week or two. Any thoughts?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
kpr121

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 127 Times on 111 Posts

For average gravity brews you are looking at 4 weeks before you bottle. Some do it sooner, some wait longer. I suggest you start with 4 weeks total (leave your ESB for another 2-3 weeks in secondary) if you can hold out and adjust your next batch as you wish.

Higher gravity beers tend to take longer for all the flavors to "meld".

Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
birvine

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

A few weeks anyway, then condition for a few weeks, too, to get a beter beer.

B

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Hockeyhunter99

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Fargo, ND
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Problem with shortening 1) bottle bombs. mopping ceiling comes to mind. 2) fusels. off flavors due to yeast not cleaning and beer being "green".

i have some ESB in the primary at this point. two week minimum and then dry hop for 1-2 more weeks. (for good aroma)

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Bacchusuga
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Augusta, Georgia

I hadn't planned on dry hopping. Do you have a recommendation as to what variety and how much to use? I used 1 oz of Williamette (45 min), 1 oz Golding (20 min), 1 oz Williamette (end). Also, do you just add it into the carboy?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
Bacchusuga
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Augusta, Georgia

I ended up using 1 oz of Kent Golding after it'd been in the secondary for a week. Probably bottle after another week or two.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
bschoenb
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've compared my brew's to my buddies; he seems to rush everything and mine always turn out substationally better (seriously...)

3-4 weeks in the Primary only (68 degrees)
3-4 weeks in the bottle.... (68 degrees)

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

If you do everything right (exact right temps and all), 10 days in primaries and then into bottles for 2-3 weeks is enough for something like a typical pale ale--that's close to what commercial places do. I've had hefes and milds come out very well indeed with 10 days in primary and 9 days in the bottle. But for most beers, leaving it in primary for a while longer won't hurt and may help considerably; in a typical homebrew setup where you might be a degree or three off of optimal, 3 weeks in primary and then into bottles for 3 weeks before drinking will do you well for a lot of pretty "regular" beers.

Bigger beers or ones with extra additions may take longer; I wouldn't rush a big RIS, barleywine, or Belgian dark (to name a few). And for extreme cases (e.g. a true sour like a kriek, aged out and then fruited) you could easily be looking at 18+ months before they're really drinkable.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-01-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
DHaught
Recipes 

Jul 2010
NC, NC

Maybe I rush things but I've been averaging 1 week primary and 1 to 2 weeks secondary for most of my beers. I usually bottle once the F.G. is reached and stable then bottle condition for as long as I can stand to wait before drinking them.

Secondary: Empty.

Bottled: Hazelnut Brown Ale
English Pale Ale
Golden Ale
Glacier Pale Ale

Old 02-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHaught View Post
Maybe I rush things but I've been averaging 1 week primary and 1 to 2 weeks secondary for most of my beers. I usually bottle once the F.G. is reached and stable then bottle condition for as long as I can stand to wait before drinking them.
Same amount of time as a lot of people, but doing 3 weeks in primary and then bottling (no secondary) seems to make better beer for a lot of us than moving it around after a week. There are lots of threads on the topic, even people like John Palmer (author of How to Brew) and Jamil Z (multi-time homebrewer of the year winner) have stopped using secondaries for most beers.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)