Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > entering a beer to NHC

Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
eppo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default entering a beer to NHC

I'm going to be entering a beer into the NHC contest this year. i keg most of my stuff. so i was thinking of kegging and then using the beer gun to bottle how ever many i need to send to NHC. is that a good way of doing it, or should i just bottle the whole batch, and bottle condition?
what do you guys typically do?
thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've only entered a total of 2 competitions (including the NHC), so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The RIS I entered in NHC last year scored well (although not great), and there was no comment on carbonation level. I just cranked the pressure way down, and poured it into the bottle straight off the tap. I have a beer gun, but it just seems like too much of a PIA to get out, sanitize, hook up, etc when I'm only filling a few bottles.

I've never successfully had a bottle conditioned beer (of mine) that measured up to my force-carbed versions of the same beers. That's just me, of course. I never took to time to perfect that part because I love having beer on tap!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1879 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 52845

Lots of people bottle from kegged beer for comps. It's a perfectly fine way of going about entering.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
corregan
Recipes 

I use a counter pressure bottle filler for bottling from my keg. I would not recommend entering a beer bottled by simply dispensing from the tap for a comp. The counter pressure filler allows you to pressurize the bottle with CO2 and remove oxygen (enemy of beer at this stage). Be sure to chill your bottle before filling to minimize foam and keep them chilled after filling. Just my experience.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Actually, if you don't (or can't) purge with CO2 prior to filling, you'd want the beer to foam up. The foam (CO2) will purge the remaining oxygen from the bottle, and if you cap on the foam, you can be assured of no oxygen remaining in the bottle.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 01-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Actually, if you don't (or can't) purge with CO2 prior to filling, you'd want the beer to foam up. The foam (CO2) will purge the remaining oxygen from the bottle, and if you cap on the foam, you can be assured of no oxygen remaining in the bottle.
Not quite sure this is true as the foaming is beer mixed with air.
If you purged with CO2 first and then foamed, then the mix would be ok.

I wouldn't consider it a waste to present your beer at its best by using a CPF to bottle with. That 1 point or so gained by doing it right might just be the difference between a score and a medal.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Not quite sure this is true as the foaming is beer mixed with air.
If you purged with CO2 first and then foamed, then the mix would be ok.
I don't think that's right. I remember reading a technical magazine that was discussing the method of hitting bottles with a thin stream of high pressure water (on commercial bottling lines) to promote foaming to purge the bottles of the excess oxygen prior to capping.

I'm pretty sure all the foaming is CO2.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Quote:
I don't think that's right. I remember reading a technical magazine that was discussing the method of hitting bottles with a thin stream of high pressure water (on commercial bottling lines) to promote foaming to purge the bottles of the excess oxygen prior to capping.

I'm pretty sure all the foaming is CO2.
I have read that too.
But the way I look at it, by the time we do this, assuming we do it right in the first place, we lose carbonation before it gets capped.

I have sent in some brew to comps after bottle conditioning them. Didn't affect the scores, although I like to see sediment free bottles sent away.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I completely agree about losing some carbonation in bottling that way, no question about it.

Personally, if I'm kegging/bottling for comps, I transfer to a bottling bucket just like normal, bottle the amount that I'm bottling and then siphon the rest into the keg.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
boo boo
Recipes 

Quote:
Personally, if I'm kegging/bottling for comps, I transfer to a bottling bucket just like normal, bottle the amount that I'm bottling and then siphon the rest into the keg.
Which I just did for a comp later in march here in Canada.