Partial Mash Yeast:
WLP007 (Dry English Ale) Yeast Starter:
500ml Batch Size (Gallons):
5 Original Gravity:
1.061 Final Gravity:
29 Boiling Time (Minutes):
35.6 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
21 days (~66F) Tasting Notes:
Two Rooks' Sweet Blackbird Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
- 5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) 48.78 %
- 2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 19.51 %
- 1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 9.76 %
- 12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 7.32 %
- 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) 4.88 %
- 1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) 9.76 %
- 1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) 24.1 IBU
- 0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) 4.9 IBU
- 500ml starter Dry English Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP007)
Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Color: 35.6 SRM
Bitterness: 29.0 IBU
Protein Rest Add 5.31 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Heat to 154.0 F over 15 min 154.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min
Two Rooks custom water profile for dark beers
Add to 6 gallons distilled water:
- Chalk CaCO3 - 7.3g (~4tsp)
- Baking soda NaCHO3 - 2.5g (~1/2tsp)
- Gypsum CaSO4 - 1g (~1/4 tsp)
- Calcium Chloride CaCl2 - 1g (~1/4tsp)
- Epsom MgSO4 - 0.5g (~1/8tsp)
It's always better to measure by weight, but approximate volume measurements are offered, as well.
Starting gravity 15 plato/1.061, a little low. (Subsequent versions have hit target OG, but final gravity remains steady.) Used a 500ml starter of WLP007. Once yeast was pitched, had immediate, fast and steady fermentation. Primary 3 weeks, no secondary.
Opaque black with a pale head. Aroma is a warm, carbonized caramel. Velvety taste and mouthfeel with creamy sweetness to start, notes of coffee and subtle dark fruit (black raspberry?) in the middle, and finishing roasty and bitter.
This won 3rd place at the 2010 PHHC (Potomac Highlands Homebrew Convention), and was a favorite of one of the judges.
Delicious on a frosty day!
We have made this several times, and it's a hit with our friends, every time. We use it in a delicious roast beef recipe