American IPA Hopslam Clone - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Hopslam Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
booherbg
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Hi guys! (popping the cherry here).

I've actually been reflecting on the low-IBU of hopslam ever since I read an email from the head brewer @ Bell's. I think it makes a lot of sense. IBU does not indicate how many hops are added to the brew, after all, it only indicates how early the hops were added. Right?

Compare, for example, the difference when you add 5oz of 10% Centennial hops to a 5-gallon boil

60 minutes: 271 IBU
30 minutes: 208 IBU
10 minutes: 98 IBU
5 minutes: 54 IBU
1 minutes: 11 IBU

You can see how drasticly this simple example changes when you change the addition time. I know us brewers already understand the relationship between IBU and how long the hops are boiling, but it makes me think a lot about the relationship HopSlam has with the hops. We already know most of the smell and taste comes from late additions, and HopSlam has aroma and taste out the wazoo. But what about bitterness? What if HopSlam simply slams the hops all in at the last minute, making an incredibly hoppy beer that has very little bitterness. It's kind of neat when you think about it. Deceptive, even.

It makes me really want to brew up a few different batches of Maris Otter / CaraPils and vary only when the hops are added. I actually have a freezer full of 1lb of hops (centennial / cascade / magnum) but I only brew 1 gallon at a time. Maybe I'll experiment with this on a small scale. I couldn't afford to drop 20oz into a 5 gallon brew, but I think I can handle 4oz into a 1gal brew I bet the Centennial will be perfect for this (I'd need too much cascade and the magnum isn't known for its aroma, but for its smooth bittering properties).

Take care,
Blaine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #22
cercueil
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
New Jersey
Posts: 237
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Thanks for this post schweaty. I brewed this up about 6 weeks ago and just served it at my sons birthday party on Saturday. It was a huge hit. People commented on the nice grapefruit taste and the great hop flavor. It was nice and dry but there was a slight sweetness from the honey malt. Due to the hop shortage I threw cascade in there instead of simcoe. I wouldn't change anything in this recipe and I can see why you got the 42 out of 50!
__________________
On Tap
Cerises Fonces (Dark Cherry Belgian Quad)

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #23
moonpig
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 26

Recipe looks awesome will brew this in January your mash temp seems a little low I may take it up to 153 or 155 but we shall see.
Thanks for posting an awesome looking clone cannot wait to try it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #24
jkahrs595
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpig View Post
Recipe looks awesome will brew this in January your mash temp seems a little low I may take it up to 153 or 155 but we shall see.
Thanks for posting an awesome looking clone cannot wait to try it.
I wouldn't. This is an IPA and should be mashed lower for less unfermentables.

BrewFry22 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #25
moonpig
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 26

Ok I will do this first batch lower and see how it looks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
southside2234
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmarley View Post
Is there an extract version for this?
I threw the ingredients in beer calculus and here is what I came up with. Keeps the proportions right, and assumes a 70% efficiency.

10 lb 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (70%)
2 lb 2 oz Vienna Malt (14%)
12 oz Caramel 20 L (5%)
8 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (3%)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3%)

12 oz Honey (5%) (late addition for flameout)

Estimated OG: 1.098
Estimated Final Grav: 1.025
SRM: 10

Estimated abv 9.7%.

Not sure what to do about the SRM, or the hops that are FWH in the all grain.

Can anyone else help out??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
DHUKILL
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
INDEPENDENCE, MISSOURI
Posts: 41
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Goterdid
I brewed this last night and checked this morning and thanks to the nice starter I had was bubbling away. Due to the lack of Simcoe I substituted for the Falconers' Flight. I plan to secondary when gravity reaches correct level and dry hop for some days with the FF. Super Excited. Thanks for posting!
How did the FF sub work out with this? Im looking to brew up an IPA without the bitter bite. This sounds like a contender! Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #28
moonpig
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Lake Villa, IL
Posts: 26

The 2 oz Amarillo and the 2 oz of Simcoe that you have listed as 0 boil minutes Hop Steep. How long do you steep these and I assume this is done at the end of the boil at flame out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
DHUKILL
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
INDEPENDENCE, MISSOURI
Posts: 41
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by booherbg View Post
Hi guys! (popping the cherry here).

I've actually been reflecting on the low-IBU of hopslam ever since I read an email from the head brewer @ Bell's. I think it makes a lot of sense. IBU does not indicate how many hops are added to the brew, after all, it only indicates how early the hops were added. Right?

Compare, for example, the difference when you add 5oz of 10% Centennial hops to a 5-gallon boil

60 minutes: 271 IBU
30 minutes: 208 IBU
10 minutes: 98 IBU
5 minutes: 54 IBU
1 minutes: 11 IBU

You can see how drasticly this simple example changes when you change the addition time. I know us brewers already understand the relationship between IBU and how long the hops are boiling, but it makes me think a lot about the relationship HopSlam has with the hops. We already know most of the smell and taste comes from late additions, and HopSlam has aroma and taste out the wazoo. But what about bitterness? What if HopSlam simply slams the hops all in at the last minute, making an incredibly hoppy beer that has very little bitterness. It's kind of neat when you think about it. Deceptive, even.

It makes me really want to brew up a few different batches of Maris Otter / CaraPils and vary only when the hops are added. I actually have a freezer full of 1lb of hops (centennial / cascade / magnum) but I only brew 1 gallon at a time. Maybe I'll experiment with this on a small scale. I couldn't afford to drop 20oz into a 5 gallon brew, but I think I can handle 4oz into a 1gal brew I bet the Centennial will be perfect for this (I'd need too much cascade and the magnum isn't known for its aroma, but for its smooth bittering properties).

Take care,
Blaine
I went my my local beer shop and noticed sold by the single bottle is a brew my Mikkeller (hopefully spelled correct). They are doing this very thing. They are selling 15 or 20 different beers all brewed with the same base malts, but each one uses a different hop. They gave the impression that the same amount of hops were used for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. I only picked up 3 to test. They were $5 each so I couldn't pick up as many as I wanted. It really gives a good example of the flavor of each hop. So far Amarillo gives me what I was looking for. I think I will use some centinnial as well in my next IPA.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
booherbg
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 110
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DHUKILL View Post
I went my my local beer shop and noticed sold by the single bottle is a brew my Mikkeller (hopefully spelled correct). They are doing this very thing. They are selling 15 or 20 different beers all brewed with the same base malts, but each one uses a different hop. They gave the impression that the same amount of hops were used for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. I only picked up 3 to test. They were $5 each so I couldn't pick up as many as I wanted. It really gives a good example of the flavor of each hop. So far Amarillo gives me what I was looking for. I think I will use some centinnial as well in my next IPA.
I also just saw one of these Mikkeller brews online, haven't tried them. I'll have to get my hands on some. Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hopslam Clone... Jaxford Recipes/Ingredients 226 03-14-2016 05:20 PM
Another Hopslam Clone wobdee Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-15-2016 08:03 PM
Hopslam clone SCBrewster Extract Brewing 11 06-07-2013 04:17 AM
Hopslam clone? 614BeerGuy Recipes/Ingredients 3 05-16-2012 04:06 PM
Hopslam Clone (AHS)? StophJS Extract Brewing 2 01-31-2012 02:48 AM


Forum Jump