Ruined yeast starter? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ruined yeast starter?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Seven
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 164 Times on 79 Posts

I made a yeast starter last night using a 1L flask and a foam stopper. Today when I was giving the starter a little swirl the foam built up very quickly and pushed the foam stopper out of the flask. I panicked and put the stopper back in but a few minutes later it pushed the stopper out again. The foam stopper fell onto the table, not the floor.

I now have the flask loosely covered with some tin foil and this seems to be holding.

Should I trash this starter and order more yeast? I wanted to brew this weekend but I don't mind waiting if there's a chance that I contaminated this yeast with my noobish mistake.

The yeast used in this starter is Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Sounds like you have a good starter going there...

What day are you planning to brew on? I would go for tomorrow/Saturday, so that you're home (to watch/listen for very active fermentation) during the start...

Be prepared with a blow-off tube setup, just in case it goes ape-nuts on you...

Old 01-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Redmond, WA
Liked 52 Times on 29 Posts

No don't trash it... you shojuld have sanitized the aluminum foil before using, but even then, when yeast is in full swing, its really rare for any organism to take over. Like Golddiggie said, its sounding very healthy... don't worry
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
McKinney, TX
Liked 2280 Times on 2198 Posts

RDWHAHB I never use a stopper/airlock for my starters only foil.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Seven
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 164 Times on 79 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone...

I'll proceed with my plans to brew tomorrow using this yeast. Hopefully the brewing gods will be smiling down upon me!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Jul 2009
texas
Liked 261 Times on 222 Posts

you mean people sanitize foil for their starters?!?