Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Experiments gone wrong

Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
callmebruce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Experiments gone wrong

Okay, I had wanted to try to make a root beer-ish concoction.

Picked up some sassafrass. Star Anise. Licorice root. Dried wintergreen. Added some juniper berries, cloves and a quarter stick of cinnamon. Added 1.5 cups dark brown sugar. Brought to a boil and steeped.

Poured off a glass and put in the freezer for a quick taste. Yuck!!!!
Tried it again an hour later. Yuck!!!

All I can say is that perhaps starting with a recipe would have been a good idea. I went way too heavy on the licorice. I didn't bother adding yeast and carbing it. Poured it down the drain and figured better luck next time.

So - there are lots of recipes out on things that worked. What have you made that sounded like a good idea, but turned out horribly wrong?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Doesn't *sound* like it would have been too bad. Did you make a syrup, or was it mostly water? If it's a syrup, taste test it with some carbonated water to see how it works.

(Even storebought syrups give that Ick reaction from me if I try them straight, and even in flat water, but mixed, it tastes better)

Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
callmebruce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No - it was one gallon, ready to carb and drink. I did two ounces Indian sarsaparilla, one ounce licorice, 1/2 ounce Star Anise, one ounce wintergreen, a couple juniper berries (maybe six), a couple cloves (maybe five). One and a half cups dark brown sugar. A teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Brought the water to a boil and let it steep for thirty minutes, put the pot into cold water to bring the temp down, put it in a one gallon bottle and topped off with water to bring it back up to a full gallon.

The licorice flavor was over-powering. I guess a little goes a very long way!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yikes. Good to know. I'm not a fan of a licorice flavor myself either. Can't really stand that or regular anise.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

most of the extracts call for 1-2 oz for 2.5 gallons, so you probably just made it too rich. might be able to water it down?

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin