AHS Texas Red... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AHS Texas Red...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
brian74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Tyler, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts



Anyone tried this recipe? I'm about to brew it but I'm wondering about the amount of bittering hops the recipe calls for. I chose this beer b/c I want a malty beer without a lot of hop bitterness. It calls for 2oz. of Crystal (4.3% AA) which seems like a lot. Thoughts?

I'm making this for a group of work friends and don't want to ruin their perception of homebrew by serving them an overly-hoppy beer.

I wish AHS included a profile of the beer in their recipe, eg. IBU, SRM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,731
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brian74 View Post
Anyone tried this recipe? I'm about to brew it but I'm wondering about the amount of bittering hops the recipe calls for. I chose this beer b/c I want a malty beer without a lot of hop bitterness. It calls for 2oz. of Crystal (4.3% AA) which seems like a lot. Thoughts?

I'm making this for a group of work friends and don't want to ruin their perception of homebrew by serving them an overly-hoppy beer.

I wish AHS included a profile of the beer in their recipe, eg. IBU, SRM.
It depends on the OG, but two ounces of a 4.3% AAU hop shouldn't be bitter. If the OG is 1.050, the IBUs would be about 29-30. If you tell us the recipe, we could look at it and tell you how bitter or hoppy it will be.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 93 Times on 62 Posts


it can also depend on the hop schedule. is it all 2oz for 60 or is it 1 oz for 60 and the rest added later?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
brian74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Tyler, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Yeah, the OG is about 1.055. My boil volume will be about 3 gallons and this will also contribute to less hop utilization.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
brian74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Tyler, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
it can also depend on the hop schedule. is it all 2oz for 60 or is it 1 oz for 60 and the rest added later?
No, that's only the bittering hops (60 min).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
brian74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Tyler, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


AHS Texas Red (Partial Mash):

Malt:

2.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb Special B
.5 lbs Crystal 90L
.25 lb White Wheat

5 lbs Extra Pale Extract

Hops:

2 oz Crystal, 60 min
.5 oz Crystal, 15 min
.5 oz Crystal, 5 min

Yeast:

Nottingham Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Mysticmead
 
Mysticmead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Kingston, GA
Posts: 1,342
Liked 93 Times on 62 Posts


for an 1.055 OG beer that'll be malty. since you're doing a 3g boil, like you said that'll lower the IBU a bit as well. you be in the 28-30 IBU range most likely (maybe lower)... not bitter at all

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,731
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
for an 1.055 OG beer that'll be malty. since you're doing a 3g boil, like you said that'll lower the IBU a bit as well. you be in the 28-30 IBU range most likely (maybe lower)... not bitter at all
I agree- and with 1.5 pounds of crystal to balance the bitterness, it'll be balanced well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
joeunc
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 203
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


i did it about a year ago, it was pretty good. Not overly hoppy not overly malty. Good balance and drinks easily. Definitely has the "red" look to it in the glass.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
brian74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Tyler, TX
Posts: 183
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Soounds good. Thanks all.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking to buy bulk grain in texas Gumbys_Brew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 01-14-2009 06:57 PM
Frisco Texas Bulk Grain Buy attitude All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 09-28-2008 03:17 PM
regional maltsters? I'd like to go local in Texas. Dave Lewis All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 02-09-2008 04:17 AM
big ass texas brown ale bull All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 11-06-2007 02:58 AM
big ass texas brown bull All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 09-27-2007 04:36 AM


Forum Jump