AG brewing time - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > AG brewing time

Old 02-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Gabe
It's a sickness!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Central coast
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Whats the standard amount of time it takes to brew 5 gals of AG brew? using a 90 min boil. from start to finish

Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Williamsburg, Va
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It will very much depend on your equiment and your process. My burner is somewhat inefficient, so it takes about 30 min to get up to a good boil. In California I would guess you wouldn't have any cold weather issue with trying to get things boiling. Are you fly or batch sparging? I batch sparge and that seems to speed things up a bit. I can brew a 5 gallon batch on my setup in about 5 hours, which includes the cleanup. My first shot took about 6 hours, but I've been able to streamline things and learned to take advantage of any downtime. YMMV.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
GrantLee63
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made 11 batches of AG beer and I also use 90 minute boils. It takes approximately 5 hours from start to finish (including clean-up) to make a 5 gallon batch. Oh, and by the way, I fly-sparge ..... - GL63

Old 02-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

My brews usually take around 6 hours or so, but most around here seem to be quicker than me.......

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
ajf

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

For me, it's usually about 6 - 7 hours.
But that includes a 90 minute sparge, kegging a batch, racking another batch, and cleaning the carboys, and taking my time.
I could cut the time down considerably, but then brewday wouldn't be so relaxing.

-a.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
MA_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Northborough, MA
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I guess it usually takes me about 5 - 6 hours, depending on what else is going on in the house. SWMBO gets cranky if it takes too long, as she has to monitor the goings-on of the rugrat by herself when I am busy brewing. I just installed a skink in my basement, where I store all my brewgear, so that may speed things up slightly - it will certainly make life easier on me not carrying everything upstairs now.
I am still figuring out the logistics of my new "brew sink" - I installed a mixer valve some time ago, so I could get warm/hot water outside at the outdoor hose spigot (makes for easier outdoor brewgear cleaning - also good for when the dog gets sprayed by skunk, but that is another story alltogether) - now that I have the sink, I hooked up a washing machine hose to this mixer valve - on the end of the hose I put a regular hose sprayer to assist me in cleaning. Works pretty well.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
lefteye
Recipes 

Feb 2007

No matter what I do it takes me 8 hrs to make a ten gallon batch. If I didn't leave the cleaning til last...
I use slow fires gently pushing my temps, same with the boil.
I once toured the old Heinikin brewery and feel that thaey too used 'slow fires'
Also run the first runnings through the filter bed for about 1/2 hr

Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Central coast
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I have a 9 month old and just swithced over to AG. I havn't brewed this year! I work Sats so Sun is only day to spend w/ the fam or brew. My son usually wins that race. 8 hours is to long for me to spend brewing. Might have some brand new AG equip up for sale! No brews on it!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Orpheus

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Maryland 'burbs of Washington, D.C.
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe
Thanks guys, I have a 9 month old and just swithced over to AG. I havn't brewed this year! I work Sats so Sun is only day to spend w/ the fam or brew. My son usually wins that race. 8 hours is to long for me to spend brewing. Might have some brand new AG equip up for sale! No brews on it!
Yeah,

Or you could just keep the equipment for later, and brew extract until you've got more free time on your hands.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

I've managed it in 3.5 hours without it getting daft.
4.5 hours is more the norm though.
A standard seams to be up to 6 hours, others take all day.