Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary fermentation - how long can I leave it? And how can I get the lid on quickly?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
JohnRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia, NSW
Posts: 6
Default Primary fermentation - how long can I leave it? And how can I get the lid on quickly?

Ok two not very related questions:

First off, I'm using a kit to do my third batch after a fairly bad 1st batch, and a much better tasting second batch. The kit I have is a coopers English Ale one. Not great tasting but I'm still trying to get a good handle on the whole brewing thing so I can move up to partial mashes without worrying too much about my setup.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any benefit to leaving my wort in the primary fermenter for longer than it needs to reach it's SG (not sure if that's the right term..?) eg is there a benefit taste wise to just leaving it for a long time in this state? If so, how long is a good amount of time?

Second question, totally un-related. When I've done these kits, the instructions state that you want to get the lid on the fermenter as soon as you've added all the water and yeast. I found the third time again a very nerve racking experience. How long do I have? I'm always careful not to breath into the fermenter etc and I make sure I have super clean hands and that everything is as clean and sterelized as possible but I worry there might be something floating around in the air. It's tricky to get all that syrupy stuff out the can (even after warming the can up.) Does anyone have any tips for speeding that up?

I almost feel fully confident doing the kit beers now... getting there! Got a chest freezer and temp control unit at the weekend so keeping it at the right temp is no longer a prob!


JohnRobert is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 402
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobert View Post
Ok two not very related questions:

First off, I'm using a kit to do my third batch after a fairly bad 1st batch, and a much better tasting second batch. The kit I have is a coopers English Ale one. Not great tasting but I'm still trying to get a good handle on the whole brewing thing so I can move up to partial mashes without worrying too much about my setup.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any benefit to leaving my wort in the primary fermenter for longer than it needs to reach it's SG (not sure if that's the right term..?) eg is there a benefit taste wise to just leaving it for a long time in this state? If so, how long is a good amount of time?
Kits typically recommend 7 days. Most advice I've read recommends longer, usually 2-3 weeks as longer time helps improve the beer. Myself I go with 2 weeks - I reckon that's a good length of time, although an additional week wouldn't hurt, but I got more beer to brew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobert View Post
Second question, totally un-related. When I've done these kits, the instructions state that you want to get the lid on the fermenter as soon as you've added all the water and yeast. I found the third time again a very nerve racking experience. How long do I have? I'm always careful not to breath into the fermenter etc and I make sure I have super clean hands and that everything is as clean and sterelized as possible but I worry there might be something floating around in the air. It's tricky to get all that syrupy stuff out the can (even after warming the can up.) Does anyone have any tips for speeding that up?

I almost feel fully confident doing the kit beers now... getting there! Got a chest freezer and temp control unit at the weekend so keeping it at the right temp is no longer a prob!
I don't think they mean you've got to get it on in a split second or anything, just that you shouldn't leave it sitting around with the lid off for hours, so don't panic about it.

Empty your can, you can use a spoon to scrape out excess but don't worry about getting it all out. Just fill the empty can with boiling water and then toss that into the fermentor and you'll end up with a clean can.


__________________
Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
JohnRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia, NSW
Posts: 6
Default

Of course, I should have just put a bit of boiling water in the can! I did that on the second brew, not sure why I forgot about it on the third. Hmmz.

Anyway, thanks for the tips!
JohnRobert is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 402
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobert View Post
Of course, I should have just put a bit of boiling water in the can! I did that on the second brew, not sure why I forgot about it on the third. Hmmz.

Anyway, thanks for the tips!
and don't burn yourself on the hot can!
__________________
Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
JohnRobert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW, Australia, NSW
Posts: 6
Default

Also a good tip.


JohnRobert is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long should I leave my hefe in primary. jonbomb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 06-02-2010 08:02 PM
Did I leave my lager in primary too long? bunggo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-22-2010 02:05 AM
How long can you leave beer in a primary? mike1978 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 11-18-2009 03:46 PM
how long can i leave it in the primary jchobs Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-04-2009 10:34 PM
How long can I leave it in primary? +4 weeks? SilverAnalyst Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 07-18-2007 09:26 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS