Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > So I purchased my 4912...now what?

Old 02-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Wables
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default So I purchased my 4912...now what?

I purchased my 4912 tonight, but I need some direction on the CO2. I am planning on a front-tap conversion for the fridge, as it is going to sit on a shelf about 2 feet off of the floor. The shelf is 2 feet deep, and I would have plenty of room next to it for a larger CO2 tank. I am looking at buying a set-up on Ebay from Tom Hargrave, and his upcharge is $17.50 for the 10# and $40 for the 20#.

1) Is there any reason not to go with a larger tank since I have the room?

2) Should I buy the 10 or 20#?

3) Is there a better deal to look at out there?

Thanks in advance!

Beer-
On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Secondary:Honey Blonde
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde

Wine-
Primary-
Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)

Old 02-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow. 40 somoalians for a 20 pounder? Sounds too good to be true. But if all is good, then go for it. It probably isn't going to be new. Make sure you have a place nearby that will refill. I've been reading from others that that is not a guranteed thing anymore as some companies want to rent you a tank and then they fill it. Sometimes, depending on locale, that may be the better option. On the size, the bigger, the less trips to refill, but I might add some caution. Since this is your first time, make damn SURE that all your fittings are tight. I mean, teflon take the threads, torque them down like a SOB and soap test and then test some more. I lost a full ten pounder from my impatience. Also in the 4912, you can run the CO2 line from right under the metal plate, there is a plug that comes out with some needle nose pliers. Right below that is a drip pan. That is a really tight angle and make sure your line doesn't get kinked or you won't be getting any right amounts of CO2. Mine is within 6 months old and I don't know how you can get more than 2 lines through that drain plug so if your going to use a manifold system, look at having that setup inside the kegerator. You'll have a lot more room if you take the door panel off from the inside.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
Wables
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The $40 is actually an up-charge to upgrade from a 5# to 20# tank. You bring up a good point about running two lines in. The manifold on the set-up I am looking at attaches directly to the regulator. I am very excited to actually see this thing. I have never actually seen one, though it is sitting in my basement. I had my sister-in-law pick me one up, and it arrived today 1/2 hour before I had to leave on a week long business trip. I will take a closer look next saturday when I get home.

Beer-
On Deck: Yo Mama!
Primary: Oatmeal Stout, 219 APA
Secondary:Honey Blonde
Keggerator:Apfelwine, Honey Blonde

Wine-
Primary-
Secondary- Simply Strawberry (5 gal), Strawberry-Rhubarb (2 gal),Plum (5 gal)