Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > need help stopping a leak around my heating element

Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Steven9026
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default need help stopping a leak around my heating element

I have a converted an Igloo cooler into an electric HLT. Everything went fine, except that I can't get the seal around the heating element to stop leaking. I have tried it using the gasket that came with the element, I have tried some EPDM o-rings that I have at work just to test it and still leaks. it's just a small drip every 30 seconds or so, but I can't get it to stop no matter what I do. I am going to order a silicon o-ring today to see if that makes a difference. I really would prefer not to put silicon around the inside to seal it. I would love for someone who has had this problem tell me what they did to stop it.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 81

What are you using to hold the element in place? The element has NPS not NPT threads, so that could be your issue there. I know http://bargainfittings.com/ sells a 1" NPS nut specifically for the heating element threads.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Steven9026
Recipes 

wyzazz, I have a machined copper nut. It screws all the way down. It seems like the thin plastic on the cooler may be distorting some maybe. I was thinking of doing a S.S. washer to maybe retain the shape of the plastic and try that.