Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > carboy as primary fermenter

Old 02-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
moodusbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default carboy as primary fermenter

hello,
As an anxious green brewer I have a compulsion to check out my fermenter often. Currently using bucket for primary/carboy as secondary. Any reason not to use a carboy for both to better view the brew form the getgo? All basic reading says bucket first then carboy.

thanks,
moodusbeer

Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to use buckets for my primary, and changed to a 6.5 glass carboy and love it. Im a fermenter watcher, air lock sniffer, blow off container sniffer etc... and I like to see and smell how a batch is going. There is nothing wrong with using a carboy whatsoever. You can protect it from light by either picking up a carboy cover, or toss a t-shirt over it. They are easier to open to take a sample or gravity reading, but of course are heavier and can break, making a huge mess.

Bucket or carboy, either one is good, and its just personal preference. My 2 cents anyway.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you want the conveinance of a carboy without the risk of breakage opt for the better bottle. These things are light, and easy to clean.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a carboy/better bottle as a primary. Another good trick to keep the light out is to cover it with a cardboard box.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
moodusbeer
Recipes 

Default thanks

thanks for the quick responses,
I will move in that direction. I really would like to see that initial fermentation process. Thanks again,
john

Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Brewpilot
Recipes 

It is wicked, many times downright violent, you will love it!!

Brewpilot