Winter Seasonal Beer Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Winter Seasonal Beer Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #51
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cleveland
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone interested in doing a group exchange of our GLCA brews?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #52
Newbeerguy
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Massillon, Ohio
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
I'd be interested. I made 15 gallons so I'll have some to spare/swap

Old 10-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #53
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Holland, Michigan
Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts

Here is what Mark Hunger, Manager of Brewing and Quality Control said to me on October 5, 2009 in regards to Christmas ale:

Honey, ginger, and cinnamon are all added in the boil. We use enough honey to raise the O.G. by about 2 degrees Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes
Do you think that the honey goes in the secondary rather than flame out at the brewry
I asked them that but they wont tell me.
Quote:

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #54
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Cleveland
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
Here is what Mark Hunger, Manager of Brewing and Quality Control said to me on October 5, 2009 in regards to Christmas ale:

Honey, ginger, and cinnamon are all added in the boil. We use enough honey to raise the O.G. by about 2 degrees Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes
Do you think that the honey goes in the secondary rather than flame out at the brewry
Dude. Nice!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #55
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Quote:
I just brewed mine last weekend, but I would be willing to try a group exchange when it's ready and get some feedback.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #56
Mtitus6
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Columbus,OH

I brewed this about 4 weeks ago and had my first taste last night. I made a cinnamon/ginger tea and added liquid and cinnamon and ginger to secondary for 4 days. I might have overdone it on the ginger because the ginger taste is pretty overwhelming. Ill give it a couple more weeks to let it die down. I have a keg of the real thing coming on Monday so I will have no problem waiting for mine to mellow out.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #57
slykwilli
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtitus6 View Post
I brewed this about 4 weeks ago and had my first taste last night. I made a cinnamon/ginger tea and added liquid and cinnamon and ginger to secondary for 4 days. I might have overdone it on the ginger because the ginger taste is pretty overwhelming. Ill give it a couple more weeks to let it die down. I have a keg of the real thing coming on Monday so I will have no problem waiting for mine to mellow out.
an entire keg?!?!?! What time do you want me to come over?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #58
kpr121
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 123 Times on 107 Posts

So looks like this isnt going to be as much of a clone as I thought. Only had 10 lbs of pale malt (I do 10 gallons batches), so I had to substitute. Added 5 lbs of Munich and 2 lbs of light DME to get to 1.073. I think I should have dropped the crystal but its already been crushed and mixed so I'm stuck with it. Sparge is heating now.

Even if its not a GL Christmas, I think it should make a nice malty festive beer!

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA

Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #59
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Cleveland, Ohio

Just checked mine after a week in primary and the gravity was at 1.012 (my starting gravity was 1.064). BTW, these numbers are spot on for what Beersmith said. Should I wait to secondary it for another week or pull it now? I don't want the gravity to go down any further.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #60
Hop_machine
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, Va
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did cinnamon sticks whole with fresh chunked peeled ginger. Cin taste is pretty strong, but I expect that to condition into a great beer. Been awhile since I had the original, but I think this beer will rock. Thanks for the recipe OP!