Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Timboosh
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 102
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Ok seasoned brisket makers. I decided to give making Brisket a go & came up with my own recipe after looking at a few on the internet. Thoughts??

*************
4 Lb Beef brisket
1 TBSP Black pepper
1 TBSP Seasoned salt
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Creole Seasoning
1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
1/4 cup Gulden's brown mustard
2 Cans Beer (Miller High Life in this case, because I had it... I apologize, lol)

Trim excess Fat from outside of brisket. Rub with Black pepper, seasoned salt, chili powder & Creole seasoning.

Slice onion into thin slices and cover brisket in crock pot.

Add Barbecue Sauce and Brown Mustard & beer.

Slow Cook 6-8 hours.
*************
So?? Anything I should add... cough, umm... right now?? It's kinda late to ask, I know, because I just put it all in the crock pot and it's just starting to warm up, and the seasoning smells pretty good...
__________________
Bottled - Autumn Amber Ale (Midwest Spls)
Bottled - Wounded Knee IPA (Edwort)
Kegged - Deception Cream Stout (NCBeernut)
Kegged - Bo's American Brown Ale (First Recipe)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
birvine
 
birvine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Sounds awesome. Which homebrew are you drinking with it?

B

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe??

I wouldn't eat it. I hate to burst your bubble but brisket is not meant to be put in a crock pot, is meant to be smoked low and slow with sweet blue. By totally removing the fat cap and cooking in a crock pot you are robbing the brisket of flavor. You want to taste the flavor of the meat so brisket is not meant to be eaten with BBQ sauce. Remember.......You asked.

__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


I was wondering when someone would chime in with that. I almost did but just let it go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Timboosh
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 102
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Any Input on this Beef Brisket Recipe??

I wouldn't eat it. I hate to burst your bubble but brisket is not meant to be put in a crock pot, is meant to be smoked low and slow with sweet blue. By totally removing the fat cap and cooking in a crock pot you are robbing the brisket of flavor. You want to taste the flavor of the meat so brisket is not meant to be eaten with BBQ sauce. Remember.......You asked.
No worries. I meant no offense to anybody, lol. (though, based on what you're saying, now a part of me feels like I unknowingly performed some sort of sacrelige, even though I'm pretty sure the cow doesn't care how it was cooked)... I just didn't realize that it was "supposed to be" cooked a particular way and that's why the fat remained. Makes perfect sense though how you've explained it.

Looks like I need to do more recipe research & figure out how to do some smoking with my POS old Weber.

FWIW, it actually tasted pretty good... And I only used the barbecue in the crock pot, not on the final product, I promise.
__________________
Bottled - Autumn Amber Ale (Midwest Spls)
Bottled - Wounded Knee IPA (Edwort)
Kegged - Deception Cream Stout (NCBeernut)
Kegged - Bo's American Brown Ale (First Recipe)

milesvdustin Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboosh View Post
No worries. I meant no offense to anybody, lol. (though, based on what you're saying, now a part of me feels like I unknowingly performed some sort of sacrelige, even though I'm pretty sure the cow doesn't care how it was cooked)... I just didn't realize that it was "supposed to be" cooked a particular way and that's why the fat remained. Makes perfect sense though how you've explained it.

Looks like I need to do more recipe research & figure out how to do some smoking with my POS old Weber.

FWIW, it actually tasted pretty good... And I only used the barbecue in the crock pot, not on the final product, I promise.
No worries. You cook the way you wish. Some people and I am one of them feel that brisket should be smoked but ultimately it is your choice how you want to cook the food you eat.
__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Cubslover
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 408
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts


Don't forget to put the fat on top.

Your recipe sounds great!

My brisket day goes as following

I use my own rub....
Dry Mustard
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Brown Sugar
dried basil
Paprika
Dried Parsley
Black Pepper
My home grown dried peppers (jalapeno, habanero, thai dragons, Caribean Hots, Chilis, Cayennes)

Put in a coffee grinder and powder up.

If using acutal wood...Rub brisket in olive oil, then rub with seasonings.
If using charcoal and wood chips...rub brisket first in mustard, then seasonings. Gives the blackened skin.

Smoke for 12-14hrs.

FAT ON TOP!

I also take an oven safe pot o baked beans with dry mustard, onions, and brown sugar and put under the brisket after a couple hours. All those dripping go in the beans. OH MY. NOTHING better on EARTH!
__________________
"Some people are still alive only because it's illegal to kill them."

"To Clone" List:
- Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome
- Southern Tier Choklat Stout
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Three Floyd's Gumballhead


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,060
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboosh View Post
POS old Weber.
There is no such thing!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubslover View Post
Don't forget to put the fat on top.

Your recipe sounds great!

My brisket day goes as following

I use my own rub....
Dry Mustard
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Salt
Brown Sugar
dried basil
Paprika
Dried Parsley
Black Pepper
My home grown dried peppers (jalapeno, habanero, thai dragons, Caribean Hots, Chilis, Cayennes)

Put in a coffee grinder and powder up.

If using acutal wood...Rub brisket in olive oil, then rub with seasonings.
If using charcoal and wood chips...rub brisket first in mustard, then seasonings. Gives the blackened skin.

Smoke for 12-14hrs.

FAT ON TOP!

I also take an oven safe pot o baked beans with dry mustard, onions, and brown sugar and put under the brisket after a couple hours. All those dripping go in the beans. OH MY. NOTHING better on EARTH!
If your heat source is under the brisket the fat cap should be down. The fat cap prevents the meat from being dried out by the heat.
__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Myrdhyn
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
North Alabama
Posts: 303
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
If your heat source is under the brisket the fat cap should be down. The fat cap prevents the meat from being dried out by the heat.
Bingo.
__________________
Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brisket crash1292 Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making 50 01-05-2011 08:23 PM


Forum Jump