Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Avery Maharaja
Old 01-15-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Avery Maharaja

is Avery Maharaja supposed to be cloudy?

I bought a bottle right before new years with the label saying "bottled in may 2010" and finally poured it tonight... thought it tasted weird a few sips in... but then noticed it was extremely, extremly cloudy... i have a feeling it had gone bad perhaps??

with further investigation... on their website, it seems they are bottled for consumption in the summer?? could this be possibly why i thought it tasted terrible?

Im really disappointed. i had a bottle a couple years ago that was amazing and finally found it locally distributed a few weeks ago and was psyched... let me know!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Be good to your yeast...
Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

May 2010... yeah that's a little old for an imperial IPA. They are best within 3 months and even then should be kept refrigerated. 2011 Maharaja should be released soon, I'd try grabbing a fresh one when it comes out.

FWIW in my dropdown "El Dictador" is a clone of Maharaja, very tasty.
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd
Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had Maharaja for the first (and only) time this fall. It was cloudy in the way that most "big" and bottle-conditioned beers are. Oh! It was also GLORIOUS! I can imagine a few months could damage the delicate side of this beer. If the "subtleties" are gone, all that's left is the big, "harsh" flavors.