I have done moar! Good news, no coolant lines on the top of this bad boy!
Here is what tonight yielded:
I removed the temperature controller from the inside as I will no longer be needing that. Very simple device. Looks to be just a mechanical switch that flips after tension (from the knob) is overcome. Bimetallic strip maybe? Black + white = go.
If you look to the right, you can see a small square I cut out to make sure there were no coolant lines. I used the saw attachment for my dremel and made very shallow cuts just enough to go through the plastic. I removed it and saw a black line. OMGzors!
Thankfully it was just the power line that they strung willy nilly between the plastic case and the outer metal shell that they fill with insulating foam.
Next I marked center on the top of the metal shell and drilled just through that. I used a hex key to poke around and make sure there weren't any other lines in the way. Nope! Then I pushed the hex key into the plastic case to fatigue it so I would know where to cut. By fatigue, I mean give the plastic that light colored bruise that plastics get when stretched, or poked with a hex key.
VERY HIGH TECH
To make the hole on the top I figured I would try using a hole saw. I only have them for wood so I decided to just go at it slow. As long as it didn't heat up too bad I would probably be okay. Well, all it did was scratch off the enamel. A perfectly marked circle! So I switched over to my dremel again, used some red cut off wheels, and overcame the metal shell with gusto. Cleaned it up with a blue grinding wheel until it was dull and called it good for the night.