Converting recipes for a mini mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking one step closer to AG brewing by trying to do a mini mash for one of my next brews. I have read and gotten lots of great information from this forum (epecially how to make a mini mash tun from a 2 gallon cooler) as well BYO and some other websites and books. One thing that I am very unclear about is how to convert an extract recipe or an allgrain recipe to a partial mash. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow? Will something like beertools help with this? I am a relative noob to all of this and am still trying to figure out and learn all of the technical aspects of brewing so any help would be great.
I am doing full boils in a keggle and using a 2 gallon mash tun.
Thanks

AleHole said:
I am thinking of taking one step closer to AG brewing by trying to do a mini mash for one of my next brews. I have read and gotten lots of great information from this forum (epecially how to make a mini mash tun from a 2 gallon cooler) as well BYO and some other websites and books. One thing that I am very unclear about is how to convert an extract recipe or an allgrain recipe to a partial mash. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow? Will something like beertools help with this? I am a relative noob to all of this and am still trying to figure out and learn all of the technical aspects of brewing so any help would be great.
I am doing full boils in a keggle and using a 2 gallon mash tun.
Thanks

This may shed a little light on your questions:
Converting All-Grain Recipes to Extract - Partial Mash
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Here is an excerpt:
Here is the process in a nutshell:
1. Break up the grain bill into one to four groups or "types" (given below) based on th e
characteristics of each grain in the recipe.
2. Decide whether a steep or a partial-mash is needed/desired and separate those grain(s).
3. Substitute extract for the remaining grain(s).
4. Write down the "new" extract-plus-grain recipe.
5. Brew the beer!
>>>

1. Classify the Grains
The first step in the conversion process is to break down the grain bill into "types" of grain based on
its characteristics. This will help you to identify which ingredients can be converted to extract, which
can be simply steeped, and which may need to be mashed..
There are four groups or "types" I propose:

Type 1 - Base Malt. This is the malt that makes up the majority of the grain bill. Usually
it’s a pale malt like two-row, pilsner, wheat, or pale-ale malt. Most or all of these grains can
be substituted with readily-available extracts. These malts tend to be quite enzymatic (rich
in enzymes).

Type 2 - Specialty (non-base) malts with extract equivalents. Specialty malt usually
refers to anything other than base malts. Some specialty malts are now available in extract
form, including munich, crystal, and roasted malts. But if you want to use grain instead of
extract for these malts, place them in either of the next two categories (crystal and roasted
malts would fall under Type 3, others would fall under Type 4; see below).

Type 3 - Specialty (non-base) malts, without extract equivalents, that don't need
mashing. You may have steeped crystal or roasted malt in your brewing water in the past.
These malts would fall into this category, assuming that you could not find or did not wish
to use extract versions. In fact, crystal and roasted malts are really the only ones you should
ever just steep without actually mashing, since they contain little residual starch and much of
the character can be extracted by steeping. Type 3 grains have no enzymes.

Type 4 - Specialty (non-base) malts, without extract equivalents, that do need mashing.
These are malts and other non-malt starches that do not have extract substitutes. Examples
would be flaked oats (non-enzymatic) or Belgian Aromatic malt (enzymatic). A partial-mash
is required when these grains are present. Some have sufficient enzymes to convert their own
starch, others have none.

Here are some suggestions:
American(Two-Row) > •Alexander’s, •Northwestern

American(Six-Row) > •Briess DME

German/Continetal[(Lager (“Pils”)]>•Bierkeller

British(Pale Ale) > •Edme •John Bull •Munton &
Fison

good luck,
drinker:rockin:

Back