Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Triclamp heater element design

Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #51
TheFlyingBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'm just curious why all the trouble to get the element into a TC? I'm generally indifferent to the benefit of using TC in a home brewery so maybe it's just a bias. I can't figure out what benefit you have over say just brazing the 1" locknut right to the kettle.
As it has been shown by countless members on this forum (the vast majority actually) triclamps are in no way required to make awesome homebrew. Maybe I am just facinated by them, but it is the design path I have taken with my build. Obviously this isn't the frugal aproach to making beer, but I actually didn't have much trouble at all doing this brazing.

Primaries: Air
Secondaries: Lakefront India Brown Ale

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air
On Deck: DIPA, Imp Stout, Porter, Wheat, Black IPA

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #52
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I just bought some 56 today. $$$$. To go a few pages back, is there no danger with having silicon touching the element directly at the base? Seems to me it would fry in short order....

Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #53
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos View Post
Yeah I just bought some 56 today. $$$$. To go a few pages back, is there no danger with having silicon touching the element directly at the base? Seems to me it would fry in short order....
If you have not yet, I would purchase some brazing flux like the stay-silv I used. Normal plumbing flux will not hold up at these high temperatures.

As far as the silicone, I don't really know the answer. I have a couple hopes:
From a generic heating element diagram I saw (can't seem to find it now) it looks like the resistive wire doesn't start right at the fitting, there are a couple of metal wires that connect to the contact lugs and extend a bit into the actual element. These were referred to as cold spears or something. Makes sense as you wouldn't want the heat conducted to the wiring lugs. So I am hoping that the base of element will be cooler than the rest of it.

Second, a thin layer of silicone right at the base of the fitting shouldn't be too much of a thermal insulator, I am hoping it won't heat up above the limits of the silicone.

On Tap 1: Rootbeer, On Tap 2: NB White ouse Honey Ale, On Tap 3: Nitrogen, On Tap 4: Air, On Tap 5: Air

"No sense having empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " - Me

Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #54
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Makes sense about the cold spears. Not planning on doing this - just an observation. I've been using Lucas Handy Flux which is pretty much the same thing. You can use borax too.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #55
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Update:

I had time this weekend to cut into a virgin keg and begin transforming it into either my BK or my HLT (identical right now).

I brazed a 1-1/2" ferrule onto the side of the keg near the bottom to mount the heating element.

Used the same jig as before with the locknut.

Brazing went well and the ferrule is strongly joined with the keg. I still need to polish it up a bit.

Here is a shot of the whole assembly:

And everything put together.

I will be doing a leak test as soon as the silicone around the threads cures.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
davidstar58
Recipes 

That is a nice set up I was thinking of doing the same thing.
I was going to use a different element and just drill two holes in a try clover cap here is the element I will use 4KW Hairpin I just have to figure out how to cover the terminals to make it safe.

Dave
Burrning Barn Brewing

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #57
DeeDub76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Flying Beer!!!! Love it!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #58
vballdrummer
Recipes 

@davidstar - I'm gonna guess this is not ultra-low watt design which may be of concern (scorching an/or over-carmelization) in your BK ... HLT would be fine

@theflyingbeer - i love stay brite -- nice work.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #59
TheFlyingBeer
Recipes 

Thanks all. One of these days I might start a "build" thread. My spare bedroom in the basement is packed full of boxes with parts and components. The UPS/FedEx/USPS guys are swinging by my house with packages nearly every day.

I am currently building up my power control box so I can brew a couple of extracts this weekend using electricity!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #60
DeeDub76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be eagerly awaiting your build thread!!