Ingredient kit missing ingredient - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ingredient kit missing ingredient

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
ongreystreet
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Columbia, MD
Posts: 313
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts



Porter, original recipe:

Fermentables

Weight (lbs) Grain

Extracts
7.00 Light Malt Extract Syrup
0.25 Dextrin (missing)

Steeping
1.00 Crystal 40L
0.50 Black Patent
0.25 Chocolate

Hops
Weight (oz) Hop Form AAU Boil Time
1.00 Northern Brewer Pellet 8.0 60
1.00 Cascade Pellet 5.0 5

Yeast
Nottingham dry yeast


I ain't waitin a few days my originalsupplier(who won't be named since they were pretty good when I called them, and they offered me a credit)

I was thinking about steeping carapils from my local instead of the missing dextrin? What do you think? And how much?

I don't mind if it makes the brew cloudy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,454
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


You'll have to forgive me because I haven't done an extract brew in years, but the list I have from Beersmith says the Carapils doesn't have to be mashed so yeah, I'd steep it.

As to the amount...I'd look around at some of the AG recipes in the forums for porters and see how much they use, but let's start at maybe 1/4#?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
ongreystreet
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Columbia, MD
Posts: 313
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warped04 View Post
You'll have to forgive me because I haven't done an extract brew in years, but the list I have from Beersmith says the Carapils doesn't have to be mashed so yeah, I'd steep it.

As to the amount...I'd look around at some of the AG recipes in the forums for porters and see how much they use, but let's start at maybe 1/4#?
I was thinking maybe 1/2 pound carapils and maybe uping the chocolate from 0.25 pound to 0.50 pound. I want to darken it a little further in case the carapils cloud the beer a little.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,064
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ongreystreet View Post
I was thinking maybe 1/2 pound carapils and maybe uping the chocolate from 0.25 pound to 0.50 pound. I want to darken it a little further in case the carapils cloud the beer a little.
these are the numbers i'm thinking
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Warped04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,454
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


That's the beauty of brewing...It's your beer , and I think you should go for it!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
ongreystreet
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Columbia, MD
Posts: 313
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
these are the numbers i'm thinking
So you agree that an additional 0.25 lbs. of chocolate grain for a total of 0.50 lbs. would be a good change for flavor/color? Along with 1/2" carapils to thicken it up some, these grains are only be steeped, not mashed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
lumpher
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
texas
Posts: 5,064
Liked 265 Times on 226 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ongreystreet View Post
So you agree that an additional 0.25 lbs. of chocolate grain for a total of 0.50 lbs. would be a good change for flavor/color? Along with 1/2" carapils to thicken it up some, these grains are only be steeped, not mashed.
yep. .5 of each. i brew all-grain, but i use .5 of each in my porters too. less wouldn't be enough, imo
__________________
There is no "i" in denial.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too much of one ingredient jmhart Recipes/Ingredients 6 12-30-2010 12:27 AM
Anyone used this ingredient? phished880 Recipes/Ingredients 5 09-03-2010 08:54 PM
New ingredient: How to use it? HellenicHomeBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 1 05-30-2009 04:48 PM
Ingredient Help Lost Brews Recipes/Ingredients 0 03-19-2009 03:15 PM
Need Ingredient help..... GIusedtoBe Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-29-2009 04:17 PM


Forum Jump