Black Rubber Keg Mess!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Argg. Ordered/got two new Pepsi kegs converted to ball-lock that were cleaned. One was fine...I just cleaned (yep, OCD), pressurized, no problems. The second holds pressure but WTF is up with the black rubber!

Tried to wash but the black gets EVERYWHERE! Had to toss out two scrubbies and my hands are trashed! Also had to pressure wash the damn kitchen sink (kidding)!

As not to be a nob, I "searched" and found a few solutions. I'm not wrapping in duct-tape (silly, just silly), and I don't have Mother's "Back to Black". I've got the b@$t@rd soaking in Armor-All. Seems to be working and will let you guys know.

BTW...I might have a Corny for sale! :)

EDIT: I've got four other used Coke/ball-lock kegs and had NO issues. I suppose this particular one is just old and beat.

I scrub the black with a green scrubby to get the outer layer off. but it will still leave marks(not as bad) Just place it on a rag or dish towel. no marks to clean up before wife gets home.

Armour-All seems to have done the trick...wiped down after letting it soak for a few days in gobs of the stuff and it looks clean and new with a WHOLE LOT LESS black coming off...almost none and certainly not the stuff that contaminated half the kitchen during first cleaning.

Read some other posts and folks don't like using chemicals...it is essentially silcone so I'm not worried. Plus the beer goes on the inside. :cross:

I'll let ya'll know how it goes next time I clean the sucker...

Still might have a keg for sale! :)

No need to worry... after repeated use the oxidized surface will wear down and it will no longer leave a black mess. I had a few kegs like that and after a while I don't even know which ones they were ...of course after many times of scrubbing that crap off my hands

+1 on the Back to Black. Worked well on my kegs too. I use it on all of my kegs regardless of the handle condition.

Oh yeah...works well on the car too!

Do yourself a favor. Go to any auto parts store (AutoZone, CarQuest, Pepboys -et.al.) and buy Mother's "Back to Black".
Click Here to see it
It will fix the problem and at about 8 bucks is worth every penny spent.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but This is the Best Tip I got from anywhere since a while!

This back to black does a pretty insanely awesome job.

I recommend it to anyone wondering what they should do with that.

Latest posts

Back