Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Critique My Raspberry Melomel
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Critique My Raspberry Melomel

So I started my 2nd mead today. I am going to make it a raspberry melomel. Just wanted to toss out my recipe and see if anybody thinks I should change something before it's too late.

-Wildflower Honey- ~15-16lbs-my scale sucks but I think it's close to that.
-Water to 5gal
-2 packets of 71b(I know 2 packets is overkill, but honey is expensive and 71b is not)
-Raspberries-we picked about 2 gallons of wile raspberries in our back yard last summer(I believe).

I do not boil my honey, but rather heat water to mix. I plan on fermenting without the raspberries and adding them add into secondary. I will ferment using 3 staggered nutrient/energizer additions and daily oxygenation until bulk of fermentation is done.

Then rack to 6gal carboy and add raspberries. I guess this is where some input is needed. With fruit is secondary done best with a BB, glass, or bucket? I only have one bucket and am fermenting in it right now, but for ease of handling I could always rack to something and rack back it it means it's easier to get berries in/out. I was thinking that a BB would also be nice due to wide mouth. If people have not had issues either way then I will just use what's available to me. Also could I even add raspberries after fermentation has halted/after campden & sorbate? Are there any risks/down side to doing that?

After 2 weeks on berries it's tertiary/bulk aging time. Stabilize with campden/sorbate. Then sweeten and bottle. May also add acid/vanilla beans but haven't decided.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yuor recipe sounds fine to me. A standard melomel recipe. I personally use a bucket with a airlock for a secondary with melomels but there is no reason you couldn't use a BB. Otherwise it looks like you got everything covered. Your procedure is the one I've followed for the past dozen meads I've made.

Regards and enjoy.