anyone had AHS Bavarian Hefewiezen? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > anyone had AHS Bavarian Hefewiezen?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
rodneypierce
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Has anyone has this beer??? I brewed a batch, and to me it tastes horrible. Im a big Franziskaner fan, and this one really let me down. I was more curious as to what others thought of it. Perhaps my brewing was just bad??? IDK.

I have AHS's Franz copy that Im thinking of brewing up here tonight. Be interested to see how that one turns out.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Sharon, MA
Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

extract or all grain?
what yeast?
Fermentation temp?

I did the partial mash and wasnt happy with it. That being said, with wheats, fermentation and yeast is more important than recipe, IMO.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
rodneypierce
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

sorry. It is an extract.

I used the recommended dry yeast (Danstar Munich German Yeast)
Fermented at around 67*

Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Sharon, MA
Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

I've not heard great things about that yeast. I have never tried it.

Also AHS liquid wheat extract is only 40% wheat and 60% 2-row. Instead of a majority of wheat malt and pilsner malt. Maybe try a different vendor, I've had good success with midwest supplies wheat liquid extract.
Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

May 2008
Springfield, MA
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
sorry. It is an extract.

I used the recommended dry yeast (Danstar Munich German Yeast)
Fermented at around 67*
I've done the partial mash with 3068 and really liked it. Tastes nothing like a Franziskaner though. IMO fresh liquid yeast is the only way to go when brewing a hefeweizen.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
I have AHS's Franz copy that Im thinking of brewing up here tonight. Be interested to see how that one turns out.
I brewed this for some friends who really like Franz, it was an all grain kit and they loved it. I'm not a fan of the style, but I guess it's close.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
maxamuus
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Utah
Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts

I brewed this and it turned out good i thought. I also sprang for the more expensive Wyeast tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
IMO fresh liquid yeast is the only way to go when brewing a hefeweizen.
+1

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
rodneypierce
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

its just nothing like what I expected. I honestly cant even drink an entire glass. just doesnt taste good to me. I will try and franz copy and see how that goes. I dont want to switch sources just yet, as AHS has been very helpful to me, and I LOVE there kits. They package everything so well, and instructions are top notch.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
jbrookeiv
Crafted Magazine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Asheville, North Carolina
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Sounds more like a yeast issue than anything. I am brewing a wheat/IPA hybrid this weekend and will be using WB06. Maybe check that out if you want to stick with dry yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Session IPA | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP510 and strawberries | Fresh Pressed Cider w/ WLP002 and dry hops

Old 01-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts

The last kit I did was a different AHS weisse kit. I followed the directions exactly (all grain) and it came out completely watery with a piss poor taste. Really, really disappointing.

Then again, poor quality and AHS seem to go together more and more these days.