Ready to Make Sausage!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need more fat in there no doubt. Publix aint gonna have it! Find a Winn Dixie, or go to the fresh market, and ask to buy some pig fat, they will probably give it to you at fresh mkt.

That is a nice looking knife. looks like it lays flat, single bevel??

Need more fat in there no doubt. Publix aint gonna have it! Find a Winn Dixie, or go to the fresh market, and ask to buy some pig fat, they will probably give it to you at fresh mkt.

That is a nice looking knife. looks like it lays flat, single bevel??

It's this knife... just bought it. Scarey sharp. I think a hollow-edge knife would be better for cutting thick pieces of meat, but this one had no trouble.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f172/knife-opinion-kasumi-215426/index2.html#post2526857

Need more fat in there no doubt.

Daaaamn, Sean, stop trying to make this complicated:mug:

PP, Since it seems the fat cap was still on there, you'll have enough fat to give it a go. No need to go out looking for fatback yet, IMHO. After your first batch, you'll have a feel for how lean or not you like it. I think you'll be very happy with the results with what you have.

BTW, I use cure regularly for smoked sausages (I have yet to make dried), homemade smoked polish can't be beat.

Daaaamn, Sean, stop trying to make this complicated:mug:

PP, Since it seems the fat cap was still on there, you'll have enough fat to give it a go. No need to go out looking for fatback yet, IMHO. After your first batch, you'll have a feel for how lean or not you like it. I think you'll be very happy with the results with what you have.

BTW, I use cure regularly for smoked sausages (I have yet to make dried), homemade smoked polish can't be beat.

You're right!

I sorta knew that refrigerated sausages don't need cure; I did it anyway. No logic. I'll make bigger mistakes I'm sure!

I wouldn't even call that a mistake, just an experiment. If you've ever had the Johnsonville smoked bratwurst, yours should taste something like that when cooked. I'm not sure how a cured italian sausage will taste, but I'm sure it'll still be quite good. Cured meat will taste very different from fresh, though. So I'd suggest making a batch of fresh sausage without cure in the near future just for comparison. For those two types, I think you'll like fresh better.

Keep in mind that since it is cured, your cooked meat will still be pink (just like ham) when fully cooked.

Moose

I wouldn't even call that a mistake, just an experiment. If you've ever had the Johnsonville smoked bratwurst, yours should taste something like that when cooked. I'm not sure how a cured italian sausage will taste, but I'm sure it'll still be quite good. Cured meat will taste very different from fresh, though. So I'd suggest making a batch of fresh sausage without cure in the near future just for comparison. For those two types, I think you'll like fresh better.

Keep in mind that since it is cured, your cooked meat will still be pink (just like ham) when fully cooked.

Moose

Thanks for the reassuring words. I still feel like an *******. I've read everything you just said elsewhere, but I forgot.

You know, it's like everything else, you've just got to dig in and make a bunch of dumb mistakes before the info becomes knowledge.

Now that was easy! 7# in a snap.

2124-p1140004.jpg

The guys who said I would need more fat were right. I've been eating the sausages I made, and they taste excellent, but they have to be the leanest sausages ever made. They're not dry, just lean as hell.

So, next time I'm adding a bunch of fat.

FYI, I made another batch of brats for superbowl party and added smoked jowl, which is mostly just fat. My local store had thrown away the fat trimmings by the time I walked in, so I had to settle for the jowls.

Turned out great. Grillled a mess of them.

Back