Originally Posted by PoconoParadiso
So how did it come out? I love me a little Moo Hoo and am looking to brew some as we head into the fall. Would like to crack one open on a crisp night over Labor Day weekend if I can.
I had some trouble with this beer fermenting all the way. It got stalled at around 1.028. I tried pitching another batch of yeast in which I slowly introduced some of the beer (similar to directions here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blogs/ar...ation-101.html
), but it never moved beyond 1.028. I think it may have been too much lactose, too much temperature fluctuation, and potentially an issue with being under oxygenated. If you give this a shot, I'd recommend using slightly less lactose (maybe 3/4 of a pound) and shaking the heck out of the wort before pitching a big healthy load of yeast.
I did follow this recipe through to secondary with the cocoa nibs for 2 weeks and then bottled, priming with corn sugar. The resulting beer was low on carbonation after 2-3 weeks and the flavors seemed a bit off (could have been due to me introducing some bacteria by opening the fermentation bucket so many times), but after a few months, the carbonation picked up and the flavors mellowed into a nice, dark, roasty beer. However, the final product was not very close to the Moohoo chocolate stout made by the folks at Terrapin, but was tasty none the less.
If you decide to make, let me know how it goes!