Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Milled Grain Shelf Life

Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
guppergoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Milled Grain Shelf Life

I just got some various malts milled up for my first batch of beer ever! I have dry extract and the various grain additives (which will be put in bags) needed for a nut brown. How long can I hang onto this milled grain before it starts to lose any of its punch or effectiveness? I am either going to brew tomorrow or next weekend. Being a newbie I want to make sure my first batch goes off as well as I can get it.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

General concensus is brew as soon as possible after it's milled. This weekend/next is fine. If I was going to go longer than 1-2 weeks I personally would bag it & store in the freezer.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
storunner13
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvIPA View Post
General concensus is brew as soon as possible after it's milled. This weekend/next is fine. If I was going to go longer than 1-2 weeks I personally would bag it & store in the freezer.
+1. I've gone even longer than 2 weeks and the beer turned out pretty well. That being said, it may have been even better had I not waited, but you shouldn't worry too much.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Andy_LV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

can you guys please elaborate on this matter? I dont own a mill (yet), so I get my grain all milled, wondering about storage - is it possible to extend shelf lifetime of milled grain by storing it cool or something?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
guppergoo
Recipes 

So what I have decided to do is to take the milled grain out of the brown paper bag and transfer it to a ziploc. I then placed the ziploc back into the brown paper bag to keep it out of the light and then put the package into the fridge. Guess it can't hurt?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I store mine in the brown paper bag in the beer fridge. I have waited up to 2 weeks before use. Generally I try to use it within 7 days. Moisture is prolly the biggest enemy.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 498

I regularly order 2 - 3 months worth of milled grain at a time. What I heard from someone at Briess is that you dont want to store it in the refrigerator, (too high of humidity). But, if kept air tight & cool, milled grain will last for several months. I keep mine in buckets with tight lids & store in my basement. So far, it has worked well.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are not going to use your milled grain right away I agree with the ziplock. But I'd put it in the freezer, not the fridge.