quick stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcaad9

Reaction score
I am about to brew my first partial beer (the water is on the stove as we speak) but I just realized I was unsure on something.

This is the grains that the recipe calls for:

7.00 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (3.0 SRM) Grain 12.43 %
0.82 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.79 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.21 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.14 %

Do I mash everything together? or do I mash some and steep other (such as in extract brewing)

thanks for any quick help
heres a link to the recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-chocolate-oatmeal-snout-126638/

everything in the malt list gets mashed together except the amber malt extract

steeping is a pseudo mash. The only difference between mashing and steeping procedures are that specialty grains that need no enzyme for starch to sugar conversion are used when steeping.

BTW: no question is stupid or dumb when it comes to brewing

ok thats what i thought, then started reading other recipes where people said to mash some and only steep the roasted barley and choc afterwards

I tell/teach new brewers with the instructions to steep the specialty grains as though they were mashing an all grain batch (with a shorter time on the rest).
When they do make the transition to partial/mini or all grain mashing they are already in the comfort zone and relaxed during the sessions.

conversion on a partial mash, could take longer then thirty minutes

Back