Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > beer products for wine products

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
BeachedBumm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer products for wine products

didnt find a sticky and a search returned no results

can i use certain beer brewing products like the auto siphon, hydrometer and bottler or does everything really need to be changed out? i understand the fermenters and the carboys but for something that the final product is passing through then immediantly rinsed out and cleansed does it really matter or is this a ploy by the retailers?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
wooda2008
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

All hydrometers measure SG, so that should be fine. By bottler do you mean the filler tube with the spring valve thingie? And your autosiphon should work just fine. Unless you're fishing for an excuse to get some spares.

I don't really worry too much about flavors leaching into my plastic bucket between batches... The wort or must isn't going to be sitting in there long enough (then again, My taste buds aren't that discerning, so I don't know) Same thing with carboys.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Zwetschgen
Recipes 

I use my equipment for both. The main concern is for the plastic fermenting buckets absorbing flavors of beer left for weeks. Anything made of SS or glass will not absorb any flavors at all (carboys, spoons, hydrometer, etc.) I have no problem using my siphon equipment for both as the wine or beer passes through the tube and only has a few minutes contact time at the longest point, however I also cleanse and sanitize as if I were to perform surgery in my kitchen later that day. I've never had a problem, but maybe one of these brave souls that let their beer ferment in the bucket for a 6-8 weeks at a time having done dozens of batches in a single bucket may tell you differently.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the only thing you are worried about is the fermenting buckets...then just use the carboys. I guess I wouldn't worry to much about the equipment, unless something you use had a noticeable scent.
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
BeachedBumm
Recipes 

sounds good, thanks for the responses. i'll probably just pick up an extra carboy then so as not to keep my only one occupied for a length of time.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep... everything crosses over except you'll need a corker for wine bottles (unless you want to bottle in beer bottles). The biggest concern I have doing both is the LONG secondary and bulk aging in a Carboy will put it out of commission for beer for a while.