Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 1" half coupler and heater element
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
milldoggy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pottstown, Pa
Posts: 2,116
Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Thanks Swagman, makes me feel better. I cut the holes in my outlet box today. Ready to mount it once I get my keggles back.


__________________
My E-Herms

My hop stopper
milldoggy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 494
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

For what it's worth...I had a 1" half coupler welded to my keg from Sabco for my HLT and it ended up working fine. It was a bit tight, but with a 2 gang outlet box and a wrench I was able to get a leak free connection with out the use of teflon tape.


hatfieldenator is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #13
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: island, in an atoll
Posts: 3,513
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatfieldenator View Post
For what it's worth...I had a 1" half coupler welded to my keg from Sabco for my HLT and it ended up working fine. It was a bit tight, but with a 2 gang outlet box and a wrench I was able to get a leak free connection with out the use of teflon tape.
Damn bro, that coupling is located right at the 4 gallon fill location on a keg, anything below 4 1/2 gallon heating I would fear burning up the element.
Was this a Sabco's set location or your location per instructions?
I find this way too high of location.
BrewBeemer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,692
Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

It will work. I was skeptical myself Do as has been described above....I also chose to goop the threads with silicone adhesive. It's food grade, temp stable, and waterproof. Just be sure to let it cure.
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gonzales, Louisiana
Posts: 967
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Swagman, thats awesome!
I was thinking about this a while back.
Now, if there was a way to attatch the 1st tri to the kettle weldlessly, that would be the ultimate! I'd buy that today.
Layne is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
Swagman
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WACK Kansas City Kansas, Kansas
Posts: 230
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Swagman, thats awesome!
I was thinking about this a while back.
Now, if there was a way to attatch the 1st tri to the kettle weldlessly, that would be the ultimate! I'd buy that today.
Weldless

I'm not even going there

To each his own

God Bless
Swagman
Swagman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 8,072
Liked 787 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Swagman, thats awesome!
.

That is beautiful, easily unplug the element for cleaning the pot / element...that IS the way to do it if you are so inclined...nice work as always Swag. Wish I was closer, I'd be a regular customer out back.

Oh, and thanks again for the sanke spirials you graciously mailed out a while back...much appreciated!
wilserbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Swagman
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: WACK Kansas City Kansas, Kansas
Posts: 230
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
That is beautiful, easily unplug the element for cleaning the pot / element...that IS the way to do it if you are so inclined...nice work as always Swag. Wish I was closer, I'd be a regular customer out back.

Oh, and thanks again for the sanke spirials you graciously mailed out a while back...much appreciated!
Your most welcome
Since we are talking electric element and since I'm a tool nut here is photo of a cheap socket used by plumbers. You can buy just one or in a complete set called plumbers cow bells. It fits the element so you can tight things up.
Purchased at you local hardware. This one measures 1.5 across the flats.




God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman
Swagman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 494
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Damn bro, that coupling is located right at the 4 gallon fill location on a keg, anything below 4 1/2 gallon heating I would fear burning up the element.
Was this a Sabco's set location or your location per instructions?
I find this way too high of location.
Well, I didn't worry too much about that because the method I use for sparging is to heat the HLT up to 175 then I turn off the heating element as I sparge. So, there should never be a time when I'd have to worry about firing it dry as long as I'm consistent in my brewing day. Although I could see how that location might make some nervous


hatfieldenator is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Heater Element Comparison RonRock Electric Brewing 4 01-12-2012 12:56 AM
What does your element look like? dboblitt Electric Brewing 4 01-10-2012 04:08 PM
Using 1" Camlock for quick release element? SenorWanderer Electric Brewing 31 12-02-2011 02:54 PM
2kw heater element plug question devilishprune Electric Brewing 8 10-30-2010 07:24 PM
Stock gasket on heater element BulldogBrewer Electric Brewing 8 10-29-2010 01:52 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS