shipping a GF brew - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > shipping a GF brew

Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Apr 2010
Pocatello, ID, Idaho
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how might one go about shipping a brew or a few, as to avoid issues from the ATF or the mailmen..

Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
10th-Level Beer Nerd
May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 529 Times on 425 Posts

Don't use the USPS, that's absolutely illegal. Ship via UPS (which is *probably* legal, albeit against company policy) and be prepared with a little white lie when they ask you what you're shipping. That's what I do, at least. Pack the **** out of the box so the bottles aren't loose.
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Aug 2008
Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts

First. Remember that you are shipping yeast samples, not beer.

Second. Ship via UPS or FedEx. Do not use USPS.

Thrid. Pack well. It isn't a bad idea to put the bottles in zip lock bags. That way if one starts leaking, they won't open the package or send it back to you.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Jun 2008
Derry, NH
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Sign up for a UPS account online, print your own labels, and bring to a UPS dropoff point. If they can't ask you, you can't lie.

Also, if you are shipping for competition, do not use styrofoam peanuts or packing tape to secure your bottles...the competition folks don't like that so much. Packing tape on the outside of the box is fine of course.
BN Army for Life!!!