what is the difference between a stout and an imperial stout - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > what is the difference between a stout and an imperial stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
McChub
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Micigan
Posts: 26


is there any at all?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
schweaty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Glass City
Posts: 1,808
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts


Alcohol, hop bitterness, huge roasty/chocolate malt flavor.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
donjonson
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Tampa, FL
Posts: 321
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I think the term imperial is being thrown around way to much these days. It used to actually mean something.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
elkdog
 
elkdog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 1,086
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
I think the term imperial is being thrown around way to much these days. It used to actually mean something.
Maybe so, but this is the exact appropriate time to toss the word around. Russian Imperial Stout is a classic beer style, with legitimate history behind the name, as it was originally brewed in England to be exported to Russia .

OP: check out the BJCP guidelines for stouts, which gives you some sense of the differences. Alternatively, compare a Guiness (a dry stout) to an Old Rasputin (an Imperial Stout).
__________________
Revolving Door Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
jonmohno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Posts: 5,847
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts


supersized it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
schweaty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Glass City
Posts: 1,808
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson View Post
I think the term imperial is being thrown around way to much these days. It used to actually mean something.
The term Imperial used to designate a stout that was brewed for Russian royalty, correct? Back then that stout was much stronger than any other stouts available. So today the term imperial designates a beer that falls within a certain style but is more extreme in alcohol, hops, and malt. I guess I fail to see how it still doesn't mean something.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
elkdog
 
elkdog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 1,086
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
The term Imperial used to designate a stout that was brewed for Russian royalty, correct? Back then that stout was much stronger than any other stouts available. So today the term imperial designates a beer that falls within a certain style but is more extreme in alcohol, hops, and malt.
Right, but calling all of them "Imperial" sort of dilutes the historical significance of beer being brewed for the recently-opened Russian market in the 18th century. I think that's the point they're trying to make. Imperial Stout is the one style that can claim its royalty- the others could be "Double" or something. Imperial Mild is, of course, a dumb name for a Brown Ale.
__________________
Revolving Door Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
schweaty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Glass City
Posts: 1,808
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Right, but calling all of them "Imperial" sort of dilutes the historical significance of beer being brewed for the recently-opened Russian market in the 18th century. I think that's the point they're trying to make. Imperial Stout is the one style that can claim its royalty- the others could be "Double" or something. Imperial Mild is, of course, a dumb name for a Brown Ale.
To me, it's like saying an India Pale Ale shouldn't be called that unless it travels on a sail boat to India. I agree that "Imperial" had a special meaning, but the names of all beer styles are symbolic of their origins. Today Imperial might not mean that a beer is made for a royal person, but it does mean that like the original Imperial Stout, it is more extreme than most other beers of the same style.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
Egghead
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Central Illinois
Posts: 166
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Stout is the overall category, while Imperial Stout is one member of that category, along with its fellows, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Export Stout, and Milk Stout.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
jonmohno
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Corn, High Fructose Corn Fortress, IA
Posts: 5,847
Liked 417 Times on 367 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Stout is the overall category, while Imperial Stout is one member of that category, along with its fellows, Dry Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Export Stout, and Milk Stout.
and cream stout, double cream stout,sweet stout and i want to make a oatmeal vanilla cream stout too

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between stout/porter... is it ale or lager? nerdlogic Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 26 11-18-2013 03:10 AM
What the hell is the difference between a porter and a stout? Benny Blanco Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 01-25-2013 04:28 AM
Imperial Stout davidthebruce Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 06-17-2009 02:52 AM
Difference Between a Stout and Porter? Pelikan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 12-06-2008 09:33 AM
What's the difference between a Stout & a Porter? jpseaton Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-04-2008 06:40 PM


Forum Jump