Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Interesting First AG

Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
bloomerjt07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Interesting First AG

I finally did my first AG today, and it was a Brown Ale. I decided to half the recipe from 6 gallons to 3, due to my lack of having a pot that could boil 6+ gallons. In halfing my recipe it threw me off quite bad. I thought i had it all figured out, but now the amount of water i needed, for some reason didn't function in my brain properly, Major brain fart. O well, i think i didn't sparge properly, but i seemed to be on the right track. We will see how it turns out, it smells good so far, I jus can't wait to see if the flavor sucks or if it isn't half bad. Defianently a good first experience, except my mash tun filter kept getting jammed and had to blow air into it, so i'm prepared to do another one soon enough.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
Madvillain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sparging is where I went wrong on my first partial mash brew...I didn't sparge with enough water and ended up with terrible efficiency (around 50%). I realized once I started the mash I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing My next brew is gonna be an AG and I think I have the process all worked out.

Here's to better brews in the future!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
Brewpilot
Recipes 

I have been doing all grain all along... and I still learn things. Did an Oatmeal stout that had an OG of 1.061 this week... #1 my final runnings were 1.018 and I ran out of brew kettle capacity, so I still left sugars behind #2 you really need a 10 gallon cooler to do a 5 gallon AG batch, that way you can even do step infusions with all that grain! Fixing those problems with my checkbook!

Brewpilot

Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Bloomer, what were your gravity readings?

Why not stick with full size partial mashes. Do your 3 gallon AG thing and add to the fermenter.
Do a 2 gallon extract then add that.