Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > question about belgian strong ale

Old 01-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
recentlyenlightened
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about belgian strong ale

I just racked my beer from primary to secondary after sixteen days in primary and I need twenty one more days in secondary, my OG is 1.080 and my intermediate was 1.010 I tasted it and it isn't nearly as sweet as a belgian should be, the alcohol was too prevelant, I was wondering if this is normal and the alcohol might mellow out, or what I should do

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

yep, that's normal...you have to give that some time, quite a bit of time actually for the flavors to blend and mellow out.

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
recentlyenlightened
Recipes 

Alright thanks man

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3648 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 2458

I had a Belgian that I thought tasted too solventy. After several months in storage that went away and the flavor came through better.

Unfortunately it's sitting in bottles, uncarbed. I guess I need to pop them open and redose with fresh yeast.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Belgian beers aren't usually sweet, they're dry. They're often fruity which may lead to a perception of sweetness. But the guys above are right about time lessening the alcohol bite.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I made a Golden Strong this past summer. Tasted it about 3 months after kegging and it still smelled and tasted like alcohol. Right around Christmas I tried it again and it is excellent. Took it to my homebrew meeting and noone would beleive me that it was 10.4% abv. Give about 6 months and you'll be happy.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I made a Golden Strong this past summer. Tasted it about 3 months after kegging and it still smelled and tasted like alcohol. Right around Christmas I tried it again and it is excellent. Took it to my homebrew meeting and noone would beleive me that it was 10.4% abv. Give about 6 months and you'll be happy.
yep, im waiting on mine right now...its been in the bottles for about a month now but i'm gonna wait maybe 3 or 4 more months before I pop another one. mines sitting at 11% abv. When I first tasted it 1 week in the bottle, it was already delicious so im excited to see how it will be months from now.

here's a picture of it 1 week in the bottle if you want to see it. I was actually surprised that it had carbonation already http://usera.imagecave.com/jourelemo...st%20taste.JPG

up next: Vitamin CITRA IIPA

Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah i decided to make a strong golden ale for holidays next year and im starting this weekend. going to sit in primary for a month secondary for two - three months and then bottles till next year.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
recentlyenlightened
Recipes 

thanks a lot guys, hopefully it will be shorter then six months, but hey I can always make another batch to get my mind off, of it haha

Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyenlightened View Post
thanks a lot guys, hopefully it will be shorter then six months, but hey I can always make another batch to get my mind off, of it haha
thats my plan