Quick question -Adding Flavor/Fermentables - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Quick question -Adding Flavor/Fermentables

Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
CaptChet
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Beaver Falls, Pa

Quick question. I have a batch of Belgium Wit still on the yeast for about 2 weeks now. Flavor was terrible at first but has really come along nicely. However I am looking for a bit more orange flavor. I have about a week to go in the primary before bottle time.

My question is: Can I do anything now to impart a slightly stronger orange flavor, i.e. add some zested peel, chunked oranges etc... or am I too late?

Thanks!
Chet

Bottled - Belgium Wit

Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

You can just add a little orange flavoring when you transfer to your bottling bucket, or you can add some peel to the bucket about a week before bottling. Either should work fine. Since its a belgain wit, you could always just bottle it as is then add an orange slice to a glass when you drink it.

Beaver Falls, eh? I grew up there. Actually, heading back there tomorrow. Cheers.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
CaptChet
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Beaver Falls, Pa

LOl, what are the odds of that? I see we are about the same age, did you graduate from BFHS? Thanks for the response!
Bottled - Belgium Wit

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana

I graduated from Blackhawk. Grew up out in South Beaver. Its always cool to find someone who is from the same area. On a car forum, I found a guy who lives on a road I drive when going home. Now, every time I pass his house, I toot the horn.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
CaptChet
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Beaver Falls, Pa

Nice. My wife graduated from Blackhawk in 02' and also grew up in SB. My inlaws still live there and I still hunt on the farm.
Bottled - Belgium Wit

Reason: addition

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
CaptChet
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Beaver Falls, Pa

So I just peel a few oranges and toss in the peel? Or do the peels need soaked in vodka and then dump the vodka in?
Bottled - Belgium Wit

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana

REAL small world. I grew up behind Rolling Acres. On DeHaven rd.

I'd soak the peels for a bit just to be sure there isn't anything living on the outer portion. I wouldn't pour the vodka in, but it also wouldn't hurt anything if you did. Just might throw the flavor off a little.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
flabyboy
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dover, MN
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChet View Post
So I just peel a few oranges and toss in the peel? Or do the peels need soaked in vodka and then dump the vodka in?

Ive been wondering about soaking in vodka as well. I would think it would sanitize it and bring out the flavor as well.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
CaptChet
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Beaver Falls, Pa

Well here is what I did after doing some research. I washed the oranges in hot water and then again with starsan. Sanitized the zester, measuring cup and spoon etc. Zested 3 med. oranges ( approx 1oz ) added just enough water to make a slurry and microwaved for 25 secs to release the orange oils. Poured the entire slurry into the primary, gave a slight stir with a thief and will let sit another week before bottling. The slurry had a very intense orange smell so hopefully it give a slight increase to the aroma and flavor.
Bottled - Belgium Wit

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Valparaiso, Indiana

Sounds good. Hopefully you get the added flavor and aroma you are after.