National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with recipe formulation - bananas and brown sugar

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
rhern053
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with recipe formulation - bananas and brown sugar

My girlfriend's grandfather brought some "bien me save" from Nicaragua and I thought about making a beer with some of it's subtle flavor. Bien me save is a very simple snack. It's fried green plantains sliced thin (the size of those crispy potato sticks that look like french fries) tossed in a pan with brown sugar until the sugar melts and coats the plantains. Cooled and eaten at room temperature. It's sweet, tangy, and dry.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to use brown sugar as some extra fermentables to add a general presence, but am not sure how to introduce plantains (or bananas).

I read about making banana beer, which involves actually mashing bananas like one would grain. It's apparently big in Africa. I'd rather go with a simpler way of intoducing bananas/plantains, and would still like to mash just barley.

Anybody have experience with

1 - making banana beer?

2 - making beer to complement/resemble foods?

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas. And if you know of any interesting central american spices that would go well let me know!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

most wheat yeasts will give you a banana taste if thats all you want, especially when fermented warm.

I have had a beer that was meant to resemble banana bread ( http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home...ana-bread-beer ) but to me it tastes like banana runts (and not in a good way)

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
rhern053
Recipes 

haha yeah I've had it as well and thought the same thing actually