Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Show of hands: Who doesn't want to go into commercial brewing?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
EinGutesBiersSWMBO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I find it amusing too that so many folks think they are going to "go pro" I wonder how many of them even understand what that really means.
I'm so glad it's not just me hearing all of this! I don't think people think about the "work" it takes to run a brewery. The replication of beers needs to be spot on. If your not serving from location, you have to deal with distributing. If you live in a town like mine, you'll have to fight for a liquor license. Not to mention the hard work and typically low income they make.

My husband worked in a brewery for awhile and as much as he loved beer, doing the same thing day in and day out for little pay just wasn't worth it.

That's why I love homebrewing. I do it when I want, I make what I want, and it never needs to taste the same twice (though, I can if I want it to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
"Hey, new brewer here, glad to be on HBT! Wife bought me a Mr. Beer for Christmas and I've just finished brewing my first batch. Already I have this dream of opening my own brewery..."
That's almost exactly where this thread came from Shooter. I'm very active in a young homebrew club and it seems every other meeting someone pulls me to the side and says "Hey, I'm thinking of starting a pub in town." I agree that our town, heck our state, needs a brewery of some sort. But really, homebrewing is not the stepping stone to commercial brewing. I view homebrewing and commercial brewing as two entirely separate entities.

Thanks to everyone that "raised your hand". This was really starting to frustrate me and it's great to know that I'm not alone.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnsw View Post
I already ruined 1 hobby by making it my job, and brewing became my new keep-me-sane hobby. So I'm hoping to stay amateur- I don't think that will be a hard goal to attain.
I ruined a vocation by deciding to become a minister. I enjoyed being a leader in my church, and even being a seminarian was fun; all the "authority" without the responsibility (and people stabbing you in the back)....But there some reasons I'm not doing church work now....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I dream about opening a brewpub. But only in the sense as something to do if I somehow become independently wealthy through the lottery or some other freak thing. Which is not likely to happen.

I would not want to run it as a business to where if it does not succeed I can't put food on the table for my family type of thing.
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As Maynard G. Krebs would say, "WORK!"

No interest here, but I would like to see a batch done on a commercial scale...may haul a bag or two of grain to make myself useful.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #25
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 845 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I consider it, but only because my job will lead to a very early retirement in a few years, and I should have a decent amount of savings and plan on moving to a much more small business-friendly state. BUT, I much more frequently say I am going to get into the beer business in a much more flexible position, since I will already have my pension and don't really think I want another full-time job. I see myself tending bar at nice pub, or resturuant.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

You know what gets me the most about this? I really sometimes wanna pull my hair out when the person creating one of those "I wanna go pro" threads begins theirs by saying, "I, like all of you on here are one of those folks who dreams of blah blah blah...."

I sometimes wanna scream, "No you idiot, some of us on here actually have brains and know what it really entails, not pie in the sky dreams, and if we wanted to do more than a hobby with this we'd be all hanging out at Probrewer.com, not HOMEbrewtalk.com. So why don't you go over there for a dose of realism and leave this place to us HOBBYISTS.

But I don't.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
EinGutesBiersSWMBO Likes This 
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #27
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I do agree that, if I was independently wealthy, running a pub/brewery/beer store might be kind of fun. Since that indepently wealthy thing hasn't worked out so far, I think I'll stick with this as a hobby.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #28
EinGutesBiersSWMBO
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I think working at the LHBS would be way more fun than a brewery. Heck, I'm there enough. I should see if I can get put on pay roll.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Less than zero interest here.
Me too. Brewing commercially is HARD work.

I love brewing as a hobby, just like I love fishing, hunting, hiking, kayaking, reading, camping, soapmaking, etc. If I had to do ANY of those things for a living, I'd soon grow to hate it I'm sure.

I have volunteered to help out a brewpubs, though, and that's fun. Using a shovel while wearing rubber boots to clean out a mash tun is fun when you're doing it while talking about brewing. Doing it for a living would suck balls.

But heck, I'm retired now so I don't want to do ANY job for a living!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Homercidal;2525722] For every Jim Koch and Sam Calgione, there are numerous failures.
[QUOTE]

Especially today, in most places, the market is getting super saturated with breweries/brewpubs and its got to be so hard to make a profit while you are competing with so many other established breweries.

I think people wanting to go pro is like what all kids think when they are playing baseball or basketball or football. The end goal is glory, and how do you get that? You become a pro ballplayer. We couldnt brew as kids, so maybe the same kind of thinking has taken over us now as adults. But for me, I dont know if it would be fun or not to have a nano brewery, but I do know that it will take more money than I have and a lot of luck to become established to where you can just go to Peru to spit in some beer and still make a good living. I'll stick to being amateur, but I'll be a badass amateur brewer