Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > American Pale Ale recipe (my first recipe)

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Today is finally brew day. Thanks again for the advice. I'm so anxious to taste this that six weeks is going to take forever.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After two weeks in primary, the fg has stopped at 1.018. My og was a little high, but still in range. This fg is a little out of range for the style. I know that can happen when extracts are involved. I can't decide if I should toss the dry hops in today or give it another week. I only plan to dry hop a week, so it's really a question of three weeks total until bottle or four weeks.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...
Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz
What do you mean by "stopped"? How many days has it been at that gravity? Are you transfering to secondary to dry-hop? I'm not one to give advice, but I say if your hydro reading has been about the same for a few days, then it's probably safe to transfer over and plop those hops in there...
Gravity was the same Wednesday and yesterday (Saturday). It was not the most aggressive fermentation. I was going to try to dry hop in my primary for a change. I know more and more people are doing that with no adverse effects.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think leaving it in primary would be a good idea; less oxygenation risk, and who knows, it might attenuate a bit more. You're at no risk of autolysis at this age, and since vigorous fermentation has stopped there's nothing to drive off hop aromas.
You could agitate the yeast a bit and add nutrient while you're at it, try to get a few more points shaved off....

Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 AM   #16
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dry hops are in. I did a little swirling of the carboy to get the yeasties to wake up a bit. Didn't want to over do it, of course. No nutrients in the house, unfortunately.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just thought I'd share with those who helped me with this recipe that the aroma coming from the airlock is amazing. Bottling Saturday. Only needs 2 hours to carb and condition, right? Right? RIGHT!?