Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Foreign Extra Stout & Lager Yeast

Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
johnnybob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Foreign Extra Stout & Lager Yeast

Has anyone fermented a Foreign Extra Stout using Lager yeast? I understand this is the type of yeast most commonly used when brewing FES by breweries in the Carribean and Africa. I would like to give this a try but I'm worried about too many esters in finished beer. I would probably ferment it at 60-64F.
What do you think?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

The point lagering, is to clear up any esters and such in the final beer. That's why we lager to begin with, to clean up the beer.

I've been doing a lot of research into that style lately for my Sri Lankin Stout. Since I was doing a rough clone of Lion's which is brewed as an ale as opposed to Dragon which is brewed wit lager yeast. If I were going to brew it with lager yeast I would brew it like I would ANY lager, and that is much colder than you are planning. In the cooler range of whatever lager yeast you are planning to use, then lager like normal. I don't know why you'd want to brew it in the 60's for.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybob View Post
Has anyone fermented a Foreign Extra Stout using Lager yeast? I understand this is the type of yeast most commonly used when brewing FES by breweries in the Carribean and Africa. I would like to give this a try but I'm worried about too many esters in finished beer. I would probably ferment it at 60-64F.
What do you think?
Using lager yeast warm tends to give a distinct character that will not be reminiscent of Carribean stout. If you want authenticity, use lager yeast at low temperatures. If you want the best beer think about why these beers are brewed as lagers. The answer is that they are brewed at large lager breweries. If your home brewery is an ale brewery, why not brew them as an ale?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
johnnybob
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have brewed a Foreign Extra Stout with Nottingham yeast and it turned out great. When I read that some breweries use lager yeast to brew it, I just assumed that it would be fermented at ale temperatures. It really didn't occur to me to ferment it cold. I thought that some fruity esters were part of the flavor. Fermenting cold with a lager yeast might be an interesting experiment. I've never had a commercial example of FES. How would you say the lager yeast affects the flavor profile?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

You could use lager yeast at ale temps. That's what New Belgium does with their 1554. According to NB, using their lager yeast at ale temps yields some fruity notes but no sulphur. NB does recommend using a relatively low sulphur-producing lager yeast.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate