Quick Disconnect Question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Quick Disconnect Question

Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
thenatibrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2007
cincinnati

I am "recreating" my brew system. I would any information you can give me about which quick disconnects you guys use and were you got them. These will be used for the keggles and the pumps. Also were do you get your silicone tubing that i see being used a lot. thanks in advance for your help.

-unknown monk

Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
jasonsbeer

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Central Iowa
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenatibrewer View Post
I am "recreating" my brew system. I would any information you can give me about which quick disconnects you guys use and were you got them. These will be used for the keggles and the pumps. Also were do you get your silicone tubing that i see being used a lot. thanks in advance for your help.
A lot of folks get their disconnects from McMaster. Part numbers 6739K64 or 6739K68 and 6739K59. There was a thread about some alternative SS disconnects, I think it was from Bobby_M .

Can't comment on the tubing. I use the thick walled vinyl stuff from the hardware store. Much cheaper and seems to hold up well. Otherwise, I know McMaster, Northern, Austin Homebrew, among others, carry the silicon tubing. Again, the thick walled stuff seems to be preferred. See here.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Liked 116 Times on 71 Posts

Look at Bargain Fittings for stainless steel camlock disconnects , silicone hose and just about anything else that can be used for beer transfers.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
goybar
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Southern Maine
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

proflowdynamics.com

Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
Swagman
Recipes 

Sep 2005
WACK Kansas City Kansas, Kansas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tri-clover's don't leak

God Bless
Swagman

Old 01-04-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Rochester, MN
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

More Beer has stainless steel disconnects like those posted from mcmaster carr.

http://morebeer.com/search/102348//2

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
LaCrosseBrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Holmen, WI, Wisconsin
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you go with the McMaster parts, I highly recommend the right-angle barb connections, at least for the keg connections. Depending on how your pump is oriented, you might want them there, too.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
thenatibrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2007
cincinnati

Thanks for all the input so far!!! which do you think is better to go with, stainless steel, plastic and i have even seen some brass fittings??? Does triclover make a quick disconnect or is that just a valve?? thanks again...

-unknown monk

Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Swagman
Recipes 

Sep 2005
WACK Kansas City Kansas, Kansas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenatibrewer View Post
Thanks for all the input so far!!! which do you think is better to go with, stainless steel, plastic and i have even seen some brass fittings??? Does triclover make a quick disconnect or is that just a valve?? thanks again...
Tri-clover fitting are not a quick diconnect but another form of connecting.

They are two halfs held together with a clamp with a gasket in the middle.

They won't leak and will last for a long time. Here is a photo of a set of tri-clover used with hose. They come in hose,female 1/2 NPT and 1/2 NPT male.

God Bless
Swagman

Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
SweetSounds

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

TriClovers rawk - They are the top of the bling ladder...

But I'm too cheap for that - I used the cam locks from Proflowdynamics.com They cost about $10 a set

Personally I think the McMaster disconnects are too expensive ($30/set?) - For that money you might as well get TriClovers (Again, my opinion)
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!