HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Rotten Egg/Crazy Sulphur during ferment?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Brewkowski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Rotten Egg/Crazy Sulphur during ferment?

Started a Barbera from concentrate on New Years, and about 48 hours into fermentation when we woke up the hose has that wonderful aroma of rotten eggs. Needless to say the wife doesn't care for it. I used Wyeast wine nutrient prior to pitching and I added some additional nutrient yesterday, and the egg smell seems to have died down a bit. Now it's mostly just the room I have it in that reeks. I pitched Lalvin RC-212, not sure if anyone else has had this problem with this yeast or what? I heard some people blame Montrachet for sulphur issues, so maybe it's a yeast thing? I know my sanitiation if probably fine, but this is my first red wine so I'm a little unsure of things.
It's not really a problem (other than the smell), if I find the wine doesn't retain any of the smell after fermentation right?
My wife had some Torch Cherry Rum, I put that in the airlock and it seems to have helped. Any advise on getting rid of the smell or concerns for the wine?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 52828

It's a yeast thing. Don't worry, as long as you followed proper sanitation techniques, it will turn out fine and won't retain any of the smell after fermentation.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #3
trubled
Recipes 

You have a hydrogen sulfide problem (H2S) that really should not come with a kit.
Aerate immediately and that should blow off the problem although it sounds like it is advancing.
H2S issues develop into powerful off flavours if not dealt with appropriately and swiftly.

It should have nothing to do with sanitation or yeast and more to do with ingredients.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Brewkowski
Recipes 

Yeah, thats kind of what I'm thinking at this point, been reading about RC-212 and apparently it's a nitrogen hog. From what I've read on nutrient management, I might have thrown too much nutrient in at the beginning, so by 36 hours into fermentation it's eaten all the nitrogen and it's pissed that it ran out. So last night I stirred it like crazy and added more nutrient, and tonight I did the same thing. Tonight the smell has died down quite a bit, but still around. SG is around 1.045, I've read that I shouldn't add more nutrient when it gets 3/4 of the way finished or it could have off flavors, but I'm just trying to please the angry yeast. The must didn't smell near as bad as the air in the room, hopefully that's a good sign.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
trubled
Recipes 

Yup no more nutrient (DAP). If you have a spare carboy I would recommend aerating the wine by pouring one into the other. Oxygen should take care of the problem but if it doesnt then the last resort is copper sulfate. Copper sulfate is nasty and highly toxic but will remove/bind to the H2S before it develops into mercaptans.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
trubled
Recipes 

You can aerate heavily at this stage of the game without causing any damage. New wine is heavily fortified by CO2 in solution and is not at risk of oxidation.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Brewkowski
Recipes 

So, how would using the new degassing wand I got for xmas work, and should I wait until fermentation is completed? Is there any chance of screwing up fermentation if I aerate at this point? Not that it's been that happy of a fermentation, but I just worry I'll end up with a red wine that's at 1.035 or something.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
mccabedoug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

What is the temperature that you are fermenting at?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Brewkowski
Recipes 

The temp has been holding around 73-75.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
trubled
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophead75 View Post
So, how would using the new degassing wand I got for xmas work, and should I wait until fermentation is completed? Is there any chance of screwing up fermentation if I aerate at this point? Not that it's been that happy of a fermentation, but I just worry I'll end up with a red wine that's at 1.035 or something.
I have not used a "degassing wand" or anything like it in any winery I have worked in -- I took a quick look at one and not sure of its purpose.

Aeration at this point is key to reduce/remove/halt H2S compounds and their development. On a large scale this would be done by pumping over the must -- on a small scale it can be done by simply scooping it up with a pitcher and dropping it back in from a height or into another vessel (then you are assured to have thoroughly aerated). If anything this should assist fermentation with the oxygen addition and agitation.

You should notice a significant change in a short time.