Mash Tun Cooler size - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mash Tun Cooler size

Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
m3rkury
Recipes 

Oct 2006
Jenkintown, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

After reading a number of threads about mash tun coolers, I have decided to make one. Size wise, I am looking for something that I can do an AG 2.5-3 gallon batch in as well as a 5gal partial mash. I was thinking a 3gal cooler would do the trick, but wanted to see if anyone thought differently.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
ayrton

Recipes 

Aug 2006
South Jersey
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd get at least a five, and if you have the room go larger. Is there any reason you don't want to do full five-gallon batches?
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

With all the work that's involved in making an AG batch, I guarantee you'll be wanting to make at least 5 gallons batches. It's just as much work to make 3 as it is 5. Lots of people (myself included) start out thinking that we'll just brew twice as often, but quickly change our minds.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

Here I go again like a broken record: Get a BIG cooler, at least ten gallons. I guarantee you will eventually go big so why fart around with the little stuff? Unless you like wasting money.............
And yes, the same goes for boiling pots.........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-07-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
grnich
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Ottawa, ON

I'd get a 40-48qt cooler. I've made 3 gallon batches with a 48 qt cooler and got 74% efficiency, despite the shallow grain bed. They're all pretty cheap, so why make work later converting a bigger one if you go for 5 gallon batches?

Old 02-07-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
Beer Weevel
Recipes 

Sep 2006
Dinuba, CA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My advise like Bernie Brewer is go as big as you can afford from the beggining if you don't you'll regret it later!!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
abracadabra

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Newnan, Georgia
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think the advise to get a big one (10 gal) is good advise shop around on the internet you can find one for about $40 If you get a smaller and eventually go to a larger one. you'll still find uses for it. Buy the best you can afford. My old boss had a saying "Buy cheap and Buy twice".

Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
m3rkury
Recipes 

Oct 2006
Jenkintown, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Initially the reason I wanted to do small AG batches is because I can only boil on my stovetop for the time being and couldn't boil the requisite volume for a 5gal batch. The amount of work isn't an issue for me, as I get just as much fun out of the brew day as I do in enjoying the endpoint (well, almost). Finally, like alot of people wanting to do small batches I wanted to brew often and experiment while not having tons of beer lying around.

So back to my original question. Sounds like I might be better off with a 5gal cooler (plus that's all I can find in the stores right now). I'm still planning on doing 3gal AG, and maybe 5gal if I can find a way to do it on the stove. Plus some 5gal PM. So does the 5gal cooler still sound good?

I realize that this is kinda a broken record discussion, and I apologize for that and greatly appreciate your help.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

I have a 9 gallon cooler that I love - the Coleman Xtreme 36 quart. It holds mash temp perfectly over a 60 minute mash (as long as you preheat it). Plenty big for any 5 gallon batch, probably a little small for most 10 gallon batches. $30.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #10
SkaBoneBenny
Recipes 

Oct 2006
Boston, MA

I "borrowed" a 2.5 gallon sports cooler from my Dad's house a few months ago and it works perfectly for partial mashes of up to 5 pounds or so. I sure wish I had a bigger one though. Don't wimp out. Go big, or go home!
-Ben

Thinking About: Strawberries and Cream Ale

Primary Fermenter: Nuthin...

Secondary Fermenter:"C-4 IPA!", American Wheat

Conditioning: 4 C's IPA

Drinkin': 4 C's American Pale Ale