Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash temp and fermentability?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
dmfa200
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash temp and fermentability?

I intended on mashing in at 154* to produce an Amber Ale with more body
The temp had fallen to 150* 30 minutes later.
So I added water to raise the temp back up to 155* and let it mash the remainder of the hour.
My question is...
Am I still going to get a wort with less fermentables even though I went 30 minutes with a mash temp between 150* and 154* for half an hour, or does raising the temp mid-mash change the amount of fermentable sugars?
Sorry, this was the best way I could think of to word it.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No way to know for sure until you taste it or until it finishes (FG).

However, you may have made the wort more fermentable and thus have a lower FG. Not much you can do at this point, but I wouldn't worry about it.

You could always sanitize and add carapils/carafoam to add body. I've never done this, but an employee at the LHBS mentioned that he has done this with success.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Anubis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I mash in a cooler and often have a variance in temp over the 60-75 min. You could invest in something like this. What I do is watch the temp closely and write down what it's at every 10 minutes. With a remote thermo it becomes quite easy. This way if you want to correct your temps you know when to do so or you can do what I sometimes do and just document it rather than correct because it may make really awesome beer and now I have the notes and times to recreate that beer.

As for what to do now. I dunno, ride it out and see what happens. It'll be beer either way.

GALLONS BREWED IN 2011 : 35
BUCKET 1 : Citra IPA 3
BUCKET 2 : Centenial Blonde
CARBOY 1 : Citrillo IPA
CARBOY 2 : Apfelwein
CARBOY 3 : Psyder test001
CARBOY 4 : empty
CARBOY 5 : Hopsplode
KEG 1 : Palefoot APA
KEG 2 : empty
KEG 3 : Star San
BOTTLED : Nothin'
BUILT: MLT W/Copper Manifold & Rotating Sparge Arm

Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would advise against that thermometer! Actually I have the weber version but I think they are exactly the same. For one, it only works 20% of the time. It is also about 6 degrees lower than my other quality thermometers. It's made for meat, not accuracy. A decent cooler will keep temperature constant over an hour. To do it on a stove takes a little more attention but I kept 152 for an hour with only a deviation of 1 degree.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll just ride it out.
Either way I'm sure I'll like it.
The previous batch turned out great. Only difference is I switched up a pound of Victory for Special Roast.
Got the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I thinks it's a great book. Lot of good info on styles, and keys to brewing each style.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All other things being equal, a mash that went 154 to 150 to 155 will be more fermentable than one that sat at 154 the entire hour. How much more is beyond me ;-) Probably not that much at all.