I think the caps are loose on my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegocal

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch today and I was a little concerned because I tried the bottle capper just for fun when I got it and the bottles opened VERY easily (they're twist off bottles/caps.) I figured there's no good way to test pressure but I can at least see if it was liquid tight so I filled a bottle with water and left it upside down in a glass for a week. Nothing leaked and when I opened it it didn't feel or look like any got under the cap. But then when I was bottling my dad came into the room and started poking around, he grabbed a bottle and was surprised when the cap came off with minimal twisting (I still have no idea why he was trying to open the bottle :confused:)

Anyways, in your guys' brewing experience are the store bought caps usually pretty loose? they seem to have sealed pretty well and fit over all the glass threads.

Welcome to the obsession!!!

You need to use NON twist-off bottles to cap your homebrew. BMC bottles will not give an adequate seal as they are not made for pry off caps. You need to collect pry off bottles. I have no idea if these will create enough of a seal to carb up.

Good luck & call it a learning experience if something doesn't work!!!

Welcome to the obsession!!!

You need to use NON twist-off bottles to cap your homebrew. BMC bottles will not give an adequate seal as they are not made for pry off caps. You need to collect pry off bottles. I have no idea if these will create enough of a seal to carb up.

Good luck & call it a learning experience if something doesn't work!!!

The caps are labeled as twist off though? do I still use them with the non twist off bottles? or do I need to find non-twist off bottles and caps?

You got me there, I have never seen twist off caps for home brew!!! I just checked Austin HBS and they do not sell them. I have only ever used pry off caps with non twist-off bottles and a wing capper...with no problems.

Where did you get the caps?

You got me there, I have never seen twist off caps for home brew!!! I just checked Austin HBS and they do not sell them. I have only ever used pry off caps with non twist-off bottles and a wing capper...with no problems.

Where did you get the caps?

It's a franchise called "Wine Kitz" but they also do beer/port (which is technically wine but I digress) they have a pretty good selection of stuff no where else sells and a pretty piss poor selection of stuff everywhere else sells.

For instance, you can not buy iodophor or starsan there. But you can buy potassium/sodium metabisulfate (which smells terrible) or the bottle caps thing.

I have capped onto twist off bottles before with no ill effects. The issue is that they come off REALLY easy compared to their non-twist off cousins. I completely recommend acquiring non-twist off bottles, but in my experience twist offs have worked just fine.

I have capped onto twist off bottles before with no ill effects. The issue is that they come off REALLY easy compared to their non-twist off cousins. I completely recommend acquiring non-twist off bottles, but in my experience twist offs have worked just fine.

Awesome, that puts my worries at ease!

BB, I'm really glad someone w/ a positive experience came along to say RDWHAHB!!! I truly think the point of most of these threads (at least in the beginner forum) is to truthfully say "Your beer is fine, its really hard to screw up beer, you don't need to dump your batch, you don't need to stress out, this is supposed to be FUN :D" and I HATE repeating doomsday advice that I have heard but have no direct experience with.

Thank you friend :mug:

Back