Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Oat Malt
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
My first thought it that those tests are worthless. They give false positive and false negative results all the time. My second thought is I wouldn't trust the oats being GF anyways.
Both true, although it could possibly make a big difference if you bought a whole bag. At least then you dont get cross-contamination post packaging.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i'll check the oats, i dont have anymore test kits. ive found they work pretty well in general for what ive tested, but i have heard of false positives/negatives as well. they have examples of the barley test result examples as well as many common other food items now on their website.

its pretty hard to know when you get things that are cross contaminated, like the sorghum extract, its hard to be sure its not ok, although its less likely than oats or even maltodextrin-usually from corn but could be cross contaminated too. its pretty frustrating. im not sure if you should dump the whole batch or give it a try as i not real sensitive....
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Yeah, I wish I knew of a better place to buy rice hulls than the LHBS too. You have to draw the line somewhere on the the cross contaminating issues and take a chance. For me, that line doesn't include these oats. Of course, I'm not on the gf diet and I brew the beer for someone else, which make me more cautious. If you're the gluten free person, then it's your call to take that chance. Maybe it won't affect you. Maybe you'll try one and decide you shouldn't finish the rest. I wouldn't dump it. Give it to someone that has no problem with gluten or someone that is trying to be gluten free, but doesn't really have a problem with it.